Upgrading to Nvidia GTX 770m on Alienware m17x R3

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Alienwarem17xR3s, Sep 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alienwarem17xR3s

Alienwarem17xR3s Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sorry? I don't understand.

2. j95

j95 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It worked using the proper settings (Disable IGP, set display to PEG, Disable HD sound card), open device manager, under Microsoft Basic Display Adapter>Details>scroll down/Hardware Ids.

3. juliant

juliant Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The guy has to try doing a clean installation once he has the settings in bios the same way you described to him about 5-6 times. If, after windows installation for some reason the vga adapter is not listed, then there is something wrong with his new card, not being recognized by the system, being faulty or bios not recognizing it... But as long as the IGP is off, and it starts booting in windows, definitely the card is active and functional to certain extend. Maybe his current windows is messed up or he needs someone with more experience to look at this mod situation... Hopefully he will have it fixed!

4. reborn2003

reborn2003 THE CHIEF!

Reputations:
    I just wanted to chime in that I have also tried a Dell GTX 770M GPU in my Alienware M17x R3 and it also experienced the same getting stuck after the bios boot screen loading bar. It would just stay black and nothing.
    All settings in bios were tested and they were set the same for when I was running the GTX 780M and AMD 7970M GPU's. So I'm not exactly sure if this GPU is supported. I would say it just needs a different vbios to get it working in this system. However I was too lazy to try.

Cheers. :)

5. Alienwarem17xR3s

Alienwarem17xR3s Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Card returned, I spent hours and hours on this and tried literally everything. Including reinstalling windows, factory reset, cmos resets, every bios setting known to man. I would recommend to possible buyers of the 770m who have my laptop to not purchase the card.

reborn2003 likes this.
  6. Alienware93

Alienware93 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,

My 580 recently crapped out on my Alienware M17xr3. I purchased a 770m, used this forum along with the given links, and have had a successful upgrade. I never had any issues with the bios, the only thing I had to do was modify the nvidia driver as posted, install from the folder using setup, and success. Now, I haven't been doing to much gaming so far, but everything is working with no errors. I never lost my sound, and everything is working great! I am not sure how much help I can be, but if anyone wants to know exactly what I did I would be very glad to help.

MogRules and reborn2003 like this.
  7. MickyD1234

MickyD1234 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Glad to hear someone got it to work :D

Do you have a 120hz display model?

reborn2003 likes this.
  8. Alienware93

Alienware93 Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry for late response, didn't see this until now. Yes i have the 120 hz model. So far i have played bf4, AC Black Flag, Splinter Cell back list, all on completely maxed settings with not a single issue. Its also incredible how much cooler the 770m runs then the 580m. Very happy so far, just improved the life of my laptop i paid so much for in 2011.

9. MickyD1234

MickyD1234 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Thanks, I thought it might be a 120hz model. Since the iGPU is not even wired in it's probably the reason it just works - but I guess you have lost the 3D option in the driver?

10. tacumadesigns

tacumadesigns Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Question who is the best seller to buy from on ebay i want the gtx 770m ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.