Upgrading storage for Zbook 17 (original)

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by BlameTheEx, Mar 5, 2019.

1. BlameTheEx

BlameTheEx Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Just won a Zbook 17 on ebay.

It has the presumably original 32GB mSATA + 700GB SATA drives. 32GB of RAM so nowt wrong there.

I can find a new home for the 700 so that is going. That leaves me with 2X 7mm high SATA slots and a currently filled mSATA slot. I will be ordering one of those £5 "Replacement HDD Hard Driver Caddy Tray Bracket" from China.

The intended use will be software development. Windows 10 + Linux. My thought is to add ether a 2TB SATA and a 480GB SS drive or a pair of 480 SS drives. The 32GB might still do some plausible good where it is as a boot drive.

I am under the impression that for casual data storage an old-fashioned SATA hard disk would be the more reliable so tempted towards one of each. I suppose there is also some plausible chance of running out of room with just 1TB total storage.

I am going to presume that there are as many fake SS drives as other types of memory on Ebay so will be cautious.

Total budget planned to be about £150.

Comments please.

2. BlameTheEx

BlameTheEx Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Well, that brought a lot of response. Guess what I'm after is a tad plebeian.

Done some research & maths. Recon recent SSD's are cheap enough and tough enough now to use for everything. Got my eye on a 2TB Crucial MX500 which won't break the budget by much. Lot easier to sort out than say, a smaller Samsung 860 pro + hard disk + 2'nd caddy ordered from china.

The mSATA is best left as the selection of drives on Ebay look a bit sad. I'm thinking time has past it by.

3. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    @BlameTheEx, it seems like your post had it mapped out with no questions, so that is most likely why no one commented.

In regards to SSDs, if you can fill the 2.5" SATA, the Crucial is a good buy, and the Samsung 860 EVOs are nice as well. I don't know what kind of dev you plan on doing, but for anything super-IO intensive, the Samsung 860 Pro is the way to go due to the write endurance. Or perhaps a mixture, using a Pro and then a larger (2TB EVO/Crucial or 4TB EVO). If you plan on using a mechanical, maybe a 2TB Seagate Firecuda would suffice.

With the mSata, perhaps a Samsung 860 or Kingston mSata drive... The space is somewhat limited, but perhaps you could use that as a OS boot drive, and then the other ones for storage / project workspace / etc.

Good luck

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  4. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No real point in a SSHD, once the cache is filled it drops to the same (or less, given most are 5400 RPM drives) as a normal HDD.
    I would recommend a 2TB SSD+1TB HDD, and then maybe a MSATA 512GB if you can find one for cheap

5. jclausius

Reputations:
    I agree with going all SSD or perhaps adding something like a 2TB Firecuda if a mechanical is used due to budgetary concerns.

Not sure anyone even brought up a Hybrid drive. Were you just saying in general to avoid Hybrids?

6. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, but I was referring to the firecuda drives as I mistook them for the barracuda drives

7. jclausius

Reputations:
    Sorry. That's my bad, I did not realize the FireCuda had hybrid tech. I didn't see it mentioned in the Amazon title. In any case, no need to go hybrid with SSD pricing where it's at right now. SSD all the way.

IF BlameTheEx wants to go mechanical, I think either way (FireCuda or BarraCuda) would be fine... And if budget is a concern, then yes a decent mechanical drive would be the way to go.

8. BlameTheEx

BlameTheEx Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thing is I have now done some research. Better quality disks handle more writing but number of TB written before failure of warranty is proportion to their capacity. Thinking of life expectancy in terms of TB written per £ spent does a lot to even the field. Add that higher capacity SSD's usually outperform their siblings in the same range and the field evens out again.

So 4 options:

1) Go for a 2TB Samsung 860 Pro. (SSD endurance : 2400TB Written)
    Advantage: Fast, Reliable, More capacity than the laptop is ever likely to need.
    Disadvantage: Way way over budget.

2) Go for a 1TB 860 Samsung Pro. (SSD endurance : 1200TB Written)
    Advantage: Fast, Reliable
    Disadvantage. Over budget. Possibly might run out of capacity one day.

3) Go for a 1/2 TB Samsung 860 Pro plus a 2TB HD. (SSD endurance : 600TB Written)
    Advantage: Just within Budget, Fast enough, More capacity than the laptop is ever likely to need.
    Disadvantage. More fiddle to use to full effect than a single volume solution. Long wait for delivery of a 2'nd caddy from china. More complicated installation. Slightly less battery time. Possibly the least reliable option.

4) Go for a 2TB 2TB Crucial MX500. (SSD endurance : 700TB Written)
    Advantage: Reliable enough given expected under use for size, More capacity than the laptop is ever likely to need.
    Disadvantage: Slightly over budget. Perhaps a bit slower than other options.

As for the planned use of the laptop. It is more laptop than I could ever justify. It will be my daughter's birthday present. Daughters, I have found are capable of justifying any parental expense. She intends to add more professional computer skills to her degree in chemical engineering. Right now her plans are for hard core Linux based programming but frankly I think she will do better with the sort of high level packages that result in great presentations. Then she could get a job telling people what to do. She will be good at that. Has been right back from the time she learned to talk now that I think on it.

Edit: Nice endurance table Here: https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/samsung-860-evo-ssd-review,review-34198.html

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  9. jclausius

Reputations:
    Assuming you want to stay within budgetary means, I suggest 4 and if that bothers you go to option 3.

I notice you didn't you price out the Samsung EVO. It might be worthwhile to re-do some of your options using the EVO instead of the Pro and see where that ends up in regards to your budget.

10. BlameTheEx

BlameTheEx Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Evo is a possibility. Ebuyer prices.

Samsung 860 Evo 1TB+ Cheapest 1TB HD: £189 (SSD endurance : 600TB Written)
    Samsung 860 Pro 500GB + Cheapest 2TB HD: £189 (SSD endurance : 600TB Written)
    Crucial MX500 2GB: £266 (SSD endurance : 700TB Written)
    Samsung 960 Evo 2TB: £301 (SSD endurance : 1200TB Written)
    Pair of
    Samsung 860 QVO 1TB: £233 (combined SSD endurance : 700TB Written)

And there you have it. Must say I expect to beat those prices but the message is clear enough. Combined SD+HD is still going to be cheaper but the saving might not justify the hassle.

There is one last issue - faith in manufacturers information.

I have done my maths and I believe that it will be a rare MX500 that will exceed its write limit before the 5 year warranty runs out. Assuming no morals, a manufacturer with a product capable of similar durability could profit by upping their guarantee outrageously, pumping up the price and crossing their fingers. So the question is how can we tell if any have? Well here at least is a hint:

Samsung 950 pro 2GB warranty: 10 years or 450 TBW
    Samsung 960 pro 2GB warranty: 5 years or 2,400 TBW

So does that mean the 960 pro is over 5x as durable as the 950 or is the reduction in time an admission that the new stated write durability is unrealistic but that they are betting the true durability won't be exceeded too often within a 5 year span?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019