Upgrading my Ranger

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Tenoroon, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just wondering, I have microcode version 25. Will downgrading to version 22 yield a performance increase?

2. Tenoroon

Tenoroon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't know actually. If you have the A14 BIOS or below, you could check. Try running a Cinebench test with the v25 microcode and then run a test with the v22 microcode. I can't really run anything too intensive at the moment as I don't feel like re-pasting for the millionth time lol.

Clamibot likes this.
  3. Tenoroon

Reputations:
    Well, I just won the bid on the GT72VR that had issues with the battery. It should ship in about a week. Selling the entire thing without the GPU (what I orignally planned to do whenever I got a 1070 laptop.) will be a bit difficult as its in quite rough condition, but I got it for a really good price, so its not that big of a deal.

4. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Re-read the thread:D Upgrading my Ranger

5. Tenoroon

Reputations:
    I forgot we even talked about that hahahahahahaha. This thread is getting too long.

Papusan and Clamibot like this.
  6. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I just used InSpectre instead to get rid of the stupid Spectre/Meltdown security fixes. Performance increased by 5%. It seems that this achieves the same effect as a microcode downgrade.

Tenoroon likes this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I expect something similar for the older Haswell as well... http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...0th-gen-notebooks.833280/page-2#post-11029151

These microcodes address intel security mitigation issues. Unfortunately, anything "C6" and newer have a performance hit even if you have all security migitation settings disabled in the registry/inspectre etc and even on old versions of windows that are not mitigation aware..

Clamibot and Ashtrix like this.
  8. Tenoroon

Reputations:
    Alright, the GT72VR finally came, and my god is it in TERRIBLE condition. There is no way that the previous owner DIDN'T drop the damn thing off of a cliff. It works though, the temps were good, and I thought he might have re-pasted it before he shipped it, but no, the amount of dust in the fans was immesuarble. I'm suprised the laptop managed to keep the CPU under 90C and the GPU under 75C. I guess thats props to MSI for building this thing like a tank lol. I may only be able to sell the MOBO and the display as the chassis is split into multiple pieces, and everything is in crap condition. I thought I could at least sell everything and the chassis, but I guess not.

Here are some pics:
    [​IMG]

RAM slot works, but the left clip is like bent.
    [​IMG]

And the Glorious 1070. (Did the GT72VR ship with the 1070 with the SLI connector? I thought that it didn't, but let me know if I'm wrong.)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021 at 1:38 PM
    Clamibot likes this.
  9. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The MSI 1070 with the wing has a SLI connector.

You should be able to sell off everything except the case and fans. Let us know how this 1070 works in your Ranger!

10. Tenoroon

Reputations:
    I plan on cutting the chassis sometime within the next 1-2 weeks as the last time I did so wasn't good enough. The display doesn't have G-sync, so I don't think the card has the G-sync vBIOS which is nice, but I'll double check.

Clamibot likes this.