upgrading msi gt70 to new mxm 3.0b 1070/1080

Discussion in 'MSI' started by mizozizo, Jun 3, 2017.

1. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Coming soon - Zotac GTX 1080 MXM inside a GT70 (ivy bridge 3rd gen) ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

johnbb and Kevin@GenTechPC like this.
  2. kothletino

kothletino Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't even want to ask about temperatures of that thing.:eek:

DaMafiaGamer likes this.
  3. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's a power horse!

DaMafiaGamer likes this.
  4. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    If only I had access to a company like yours I would have tried an rtx 2080 inside one of these rigs!

BTW love the reviews, always nice to see the disassembly of a laptop afterwards to see what it’s packing :)

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  5. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    Liquid metal and shimming, no problem in cooling. Only worry is the castrated zotac vbios which will be switched out for a clevo one.

Gonna finish it soon, just have to start my final year project for uni (online lectures due to this damn coronavirus). Once that’s rolling I’ll come back to this...

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  6. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @DaMafiaGamer Does the 1080 works ? I tried the same card on my MS-1763 (GT70 haswell) but it does not seems to work, I don't know if it's because of the card or the laptop.

DaMafiaGamer likes this.
  7. johnbb

johnbb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm dying to see that 1080 running in the MSI GT70...

DaMafiaGamer likes this.
  8. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    Well guys I got some news for you, the card didn't work in both GT70's I bought :( one was a 3rd gen version and the other was a 4th gen version.

Upon inserting the card it is recognised but the ec on both GT70's makes the fan kick into permanent turbo boost. I tried every single vbios there was on that card, clevo, msi, zotac, asus, asrock everything lol and it still resulted in error 43 after the inf mod.

I believe these are possible reasons why:

1) The GT70 EC does not recognise this card, it looks to be mxm but may not have the same temperature reading sensors as a normal 980m etc. Maybe VRM temps are not detected, although core temps are detected easily through hwinfo...

2) The vbios's have a feature in which they can detect which CPU is in the laptop. It could quite possibly be a problem with the CPU and chipset being to old, 3rd gen and 4th gen systems were definitely extinct by the time the zotac 1080 mxm came out...

3) The actual card is faulty, it may be possible but is unlikely as it tested and booted on the GT72 on dGPU with no artifacting or crashes, vbios version shows up in the bios on that laptop too.

So as a conclusion I believe this card will not work in any gt70, I'm guessing this is the reason why a post like this hasn't been seen, someone may have tried and failed, like @TheQuentincc did.

So that is two results showing that a GTX 1080 CANNOT run in a GT70, please save your money and buy a gtx 1070 mxm and slot it in, there is virtually no difference between this castrated 1080 and an msi gtx 1070 mxm with the tdp unlocked at 150w!

hacktrix2006 likes this.
  9. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    I might make this a thread to be honest so no one else tries to go down the same route me and @TheQuentincc did!

10. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    But it does work on GT72 board ? When I bought my GT70 it was to test this card because I only had a Dell M6700 and more recently a M6800 which are not very compatible with pascal card :/
    However, in my case I don't know if the card is working properly, when you tried it on the GT70, before installing drivers, was your card detected by GPU-Z, could you see what was in "advanced -> NVIDIA BIOS" ? and after installing drivers, does it act the same ?
    Except of Alienware (like M17X R4 or 17R1) or maybe HP 8770W, it looks like there is no cheap platform to try out mxm card :/