Upgrading M18x CPU to the 2920 xm

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by murphey1965, Oct 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. murphey1965

murphey1965 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi i have just purchased the above chip , and currently have the 2730 i think , what do i need to do to upgrade ? , i have just checked some other forums and i am under the impression that i need to change the heatsink to a dual pipe is this correct and has anyone done this ? , and if so where do i get the dual heatpipe from , and one last thing guys does anyone have a step by step guide in stripping down the unit and if any special tools required .
    Many thanks for your replies hopefully i have not bought a cpu i cant use :(

2. 0x29A

0x29A Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  3. ALIEN8992

ALIEN8992 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You actually have a i7-2630QM you can definitively upgrade to 2920XM W/o the double pipe( at your own risk ) i have done it before and till this day nothing has gone wrong with the laptop. I have this youtube channel i just started helping Alienware users like you. We should have the M18x complete taredown video today. so check it out for a more detailed "step by step" instruction. if you have any questions feel free to ask! :cool: :cool:

MyComputerguide's Channel - YouTube

4. murphey1965

Reputations:
    Many thanks to both of you , the chip presently in my m18 is the 2720qm , and its like 2 weeks old and will be for sale if anyone is interested , i just got this 2920xm out of the blue and thought why not , 0x29A do i have to specify its for the 2920 and i dont suppose you have a number or part number for ordering the heat sink ? as i am in the middle east but do have an account and a us postal address that ships things out to me here , and thanks ALIEN8992 will check out your vids . any recommends on the thermal paste used to use a silver paste for thermal for cpu etc whats the best stuff now ? . cheers guys and thanks for taking the time to answer

5. 0x29A

0x29A Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The part number is HD9NJ but I am pretty sure Dell USA won't send the part to you. The ship to US postal addresses only. Call your local Dell.

The best paste is IC Diamond. Mind that 7 and 24 "carats" is exactly same paste, just 24 is a bigger tube (which last for several repasters so you don't need that much). People tend to think that's something better since 24 > 7 and spend more.

You may also want to change thermal pads. The best are Phobya XT 7W/mk.

6. murphey1965

Reputations:
    Ok thanks Man , will sort that then , i do have an address i can use in the states in Springfields new york with my Aramex account , thanks again for your help , will prob be calling u again when it all goes wrong lol .

7. Shaden

Shaden Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am putting my 2920 in on Friday !!!

8. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    So that's why all the leaves turned yellow so late this autumn! They sensed the heavy benching coming into Canada! No winter this year, lol. :p

9. murphey1965

Reputations:
    Hey Shaden , did you order the dual heatsink for your upgrade ? , if so is there a direct number to contact them to order parts , and whats involved in taking these beautys apart, knowing me i will have a few screws left over , but is it a major job or quite straightforward ? , and just check your score , how the hell did u get 8k with your setup did you do a volt mod and put it in the fridge when u benched lol , anyway any links would be helpful , the cpu should be here hopefuly in a week so just need to order up the heatsink and paste , and where i live there is no winter its 40 degrees as we talk .

just a quickie , just checked your video ALien8992 , thats quite indepth , do you not have one just for the cpu heatsink replacement ? , as thats as far as i want to go in stripping it down , and do not want to remove the screen etc etc , thanks .

10. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    You have to remove all of the above to get to the CPU, that's one of the downsides of the M18x :(

Here's another teardown :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.