1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Upgrading from 4GB to 8GB RAM (any benefits)

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by TricksterMatt, Apr 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TricksterMatt

TricksterMatt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys I was thinking of upgrading from my 4GB RAM to 8GB as when I go university this year I will be doing a lot of stuff on things like microsoft office 2007/2011 and image and video editing software such as adobe photoshop and sony vegas.ect and also converting softwares. Will more RAM benefit me? I will have several of these programs running once most likely and what brand are the RAM alienware provides you? And will more RAM benefit me in gaming at the slightest? Say newer games like RAGE or battlefield 3? Thanks

I was thinking about these: Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz Laptop Memory Kit.. | Ebuyer.com

2. DraZziW

DraZziW Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    don't know about video editing and photoshop but you probably won't notice any improvement in games. The ram they gave me was one 4gb Hyundai and 2gb Kingston

3. Oldakowski

Oldakowski Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    When I upgraded to 8gb, I noticed loading times were halved in basically every game I played. The performance increase was very noticeable. I Highly recommend the upgrade.

4. TricksterMatt

Reputations:
    Hmm sounds like a good buy and suppose its "future proof" in a way even if its only a slight improvement as technology is becoming increasingly more advanced and technical in terms of requirements from todays standards in games and software.ect

5. TricksterMatt

Reputations:
    Also will the RAM in the link fit and are they better than the ones in the alienware atm?

6. jwolf7722

jwolf7722 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It does improve HD video editing times slightly. My old system with 4gb ram took longer to edit (Just going by memory from the times it took in the past). When playing Civ 5 I dont see any difference in load times from my old Alienware with 4gb over my current system with 8gb.

7. madoon

madoon Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    the extra ram will help with image and video editing if you run/open a lot of files and projects at the same time, but not much if you are a light user with smaller files/projects.

8. kosti

kosti Party on Dudes!

Reputations:
    I honestly noticed no difference in performance. The only reason I upgraded to 8GB was to turn off my paging file with my new SSD.

9. The Revelator

The Revelator Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I shared the same reason and the same experience.

10. James D

James D Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    turn off paging file, faster work in photoshop, RamDisk and else