Upgrading CPU in CF-28

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by ToughbookGeek96, May 5, 2019.

1. ToughbookGeek96

ToughbookGeek96 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So the thing is I live in Manitoba.

2. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    So you know what it's like to have to pay all that extra crap. The good part for me is I live in a border town so I am about a mile from the US Post office and that saves me $$$ and some times I can bring up to $40.00 across with no duty :D

3. ToughbookGeek96

Reputations:
    I mean here it’s like absurdly overpriced. The last week I posted on this forum about a toughbook. In Canada the price was like I don’t even know what. I’ve lived in Manitoba for like 10 years so it’s worse when I have to shop it from Florida or out of country. So I mean here the go book is still like $130 Canada. I think that is a little much

toughasnails likes this.
  4. mklym

mklym Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    TBG96, SHEEPMAN does not sell on eBay. I live in Alberta and have dealt with SHEEPMAN many times on many units. You will save more money in the end buying from him than someone on eBay. Tell him what you want/need in a unit and he will send you a turnkey unit with the specs requested. Turn the unit on and away you go.

As far as prices go, you as the potential buyer has very little to say about the price. Once you have communicated what you want/need in a unit, the seller will tell you what they want for the unit. You may make an offer, but lowballing will only insult the seller. If you do not like the price, say 'Thanks' but don't have the funds, and move along. Buying anything from the US is expensive. If the price with all the extras (shipping, duty, exchange) is beyond your means, then save up more money or look for a different/cheaper unit.

If you decide to go ahead with a purchase from SHEEPMAN you will not be disappointed. I never have. If you buy from a seller in the US on the 'bay, then good luck.

There is a friend who lives in BC who sells on eBay. His units a customized and turnkey, but he has nothing you are looking for and his prices are not in your ball park.

Hope this helps deciding to deal with SHEEPMAN or not.

UNCNDL1 and Shawn like this.
  5. ToughbookGeek96

Reputations:
    So now my issue is that on a 600 MHz I bought on Mercari the motherboard has blown capacitors and I don’t have the tools to recap it. So anyone have a CF-28 MK1 motherboard. 600 MHz motherboard on my want list

6. User32

User32 Toughbook Master Race

Reputations:
    Forget it, just get yourself another CF-28 off eBay instead. If the caps on the board have blown it's not worth fixing IMO.

Or better yet, don't bother with those archaic Toughbooks unless you're hell-bent on a 28 or extremely afraid of the NSA/CIA/MOSSAD spying on you

7. ToughbookGeek96

Reputations:
    I’ll check if I have a CF-28 MK1 that works. I know I have a Mk2 but it has a bunch of information so I’ll check on a bin of laptop parts and toughbook parts

8. ToughbookGeek96

Reputations:
    Alright the 600 mhz off Mercari has been fixed. I really just took out the motherboard from some random 600 I bought from a yard sale with like 5 other Toughbooks. Now it’s back in business. However I tried to replace the CPU in it and I successfully did it put a 800 MHz in. But the bios wouldn’t recognize it so it showed as 850 MHz. So I will proceed to try to make it work. Ram wasn’t easy. I installed a 512mb stick in and broke the thing both the ram and the slot so I have some useless ram stick in my favourite 600