Upgrading compaq presario V5000, does it have dual channel memory?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by kendall14, Jul 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kendall14

kendall14 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, well I'm helping my girlfriends upgrade her laptop a little.Just to let everyone know, I don't work on laptops much but pretty much can do whatever I need to. We are trying to upgrade her memory and she currently has 512mb on one stick. Now I know some desktop are single channel meaning that they can handle having 512mb in one slot and 256mb in the other or something like that (like my desktop :D). My question is if her laptop is dual channel or single channel. It's a Compaq Presario V5000 with the model number RG324UA#ABA, here is it's spec sheet http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00783092&lc=en&cc=py&product=3231960. Thank you all for any help you can provide me with.

2. Andy

Andy Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Nope, that notebook does not have support for dual channel memory..!! You can mix different densities of modules in that computer....

3. powerpack

powerpack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Notebooks are a different animal than desktops with four slots. Way to complicated to explain. As angad said? I can't find anything saying dual channel supported so yea mix and match. A lot of the mix and don't match problems happen because of two (dual) channels and four slots. Also AMD. I would follow angad's advice.

4. jisaac

jisaac Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i seriously wouldn't worry about it. Dual channel speeds up your memory by about 6-8% at most.

5. K-TRON

K-TRON Hi, I'm Jimmy Diesel ^_^

Reputations:
    You can use different sized memory cards in her laptop.

You are a nice boyfriend, for upgrading her system, I did the same with my girl :D

The memory bay should be on the bottom of the laptop, and should take less than 5 minutes to change. Just make sure that you are upgrading her laptop with compatible memory.

K-TRON

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.