Upgrading ASUS UX32VD Wireless Card - Antenna Connector Problem, Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by aznriptide859, Sep 10, 2013.

1. xyzbird

xyzbird Newbie

Reputations:
    Jacky, in case Scooby00 does not see your query, the short answer is the Intel AC7260 WiFi adapter shown in your link is the variety that has the larger antenna connectors. Only the Intel 7260NGW Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 has the smaller antenna connectors - see Scooby's post #32 above. For a quick and easy job you need the NGW version and the M.2 NGFF to Mini PCIe adapter to enable connection to the existing UX32 antenna as Scooby described. Remember to remove the bits of the adapter not required and fit the spacer / screw as Scooby has shown. Also note that the black wire goes to the left connector and the white on the to the right on the AC7260NGW module when viewed top right - this is contrary to that shown in Scooby00's pictures. This may affect performance.

I purchased my 7260NGW from http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171386308290?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT and the adapter from http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252068560103?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT.

You can find the latest AC7260 Bluetooth and WiFi either from Intel's site https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ or (probably better) from Station-Drivers http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?lang=fr from their Intel downloads section.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    Scooby00 likes this.
  2. Jacky Leong

Jacky Leong Newbie

Reputations:
    Scooby00 likes this.
  3. xyzbird

xyzbird Newbie

Reputations:
    Good - don't forget that your router needs to have AC specification as well to get the higher speed. You probably know this anyway.

4. Jacky Leong

Jacky Leong Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks, i'm using RT-AC87U boosted with TP-Link long antennas. ; )

5. codingdave

codingdave Newbie

Reputations:
    I really need to thank you guys for this amazing thread and Scooby00 for his amazing solution. I did the same thing and it took me like 5 Minutes and 35€. I should have done this years ago!

However, like pointed out by xyzbird I have the cables the other way around (matching the label, not the color).

I bought the following components:
    • "miniPCI express to M.2 (NGFF) (PCIe+USB) Adapter for Wifi/Wlan + Bluetooth cards"
    • Intel Dual Band Wireless AC7265 Model: 7265NGW 802.11AC 867Mbps M.2 NGFF 0K57GX

6. Tremorcz

Tremorcz Newbie

Reputations:
  7. zhenya.shubin

zhenya.shubin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi All,

The stock Intel 6235 wireless card in my Asus UX31A is dying and am thinking of replacing it with a 802.11ac card.

From my extensive research on the web, there are no UX31A fully comparable cards in the market (unless you think of replacing the stock antennas) and I ended up with a choice of Intel 7260 or AzureWave AW-CB160H. I've found no better solutions (I don't really want to jump to USB WiFi -- I have just 2 USB slots on the machine!)

This particular thread proved to be the most informative from all over the internet on the Zenbook vs. Intel 7260 compatibility issues. I've taken it that there are 3 possible solutions:

(a) an adapter like one reported by Scooby00 in the message #32 (link). Not compatible with UX31A due to the size issue;
    (b) a U.FL/MHF4 wired connector. But tkgt in his message #34 (link) reported such a performance degradation level that makes the replacement of 6235 useless; or
    (c) remove the O-ring (responsible only for grounding?) of the U.FL factor and solder (or tape-protect) the stock MHF4 connectors in there.

Questions:
    - could you report the speeds you are getting under (b) and (c)?
    - on the above-mentioned AzureWave 3-antennas product, where in your Zenbook would you put the 3rd antenna? Similar to UX32VD, UX31A has just 2 stock antennas located under the display bottom (see step 20 here -- link).

Many thanks for your responses in advance!

8. ekbduffy

ekbduffy Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys. I've just tried to put Centrino-N 7260HMW (not AC) instead of breaking connections 6235. Looks like IPEX4 connector pins ok into u.FL, if you make u.FL connector "little wider" :)) i've put there screwdriver, and pushed outside, for less than 1mm. However, this card didn't started on my PC(ux32vd), so i can't say that it's working solution.
    So, now I'm thinking about http://www.ebay.com/itm/Azurewave-A...391074?hash=item280b4e94a2:g:NF4AAOSw7hRWOXQb what do You, guys think?

9. zhenya.shubin

zhenya.shubin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi ekbduffy,

Looks like all have lost interest in upgrading our old laptops or simply not willing to share experience. Unfortunately, there's not much useful information available on the web. I continue researching and here is something extra which I've found so far:

(1) There are reports of poor performance of Intel 7260.

(2) I found a thread on the Russian IXBT forum, the first pages of which (2014?) report positively on the BCM94360 chipset performance (which is used in AW-CB160H). I still need to read all 30+ pages for an informed view/any troubleshooting issues.

(3) I will continue searching for feedback/reviews but from all I've found by now, AW-CB160H seems to be a good choice. The question is where to put its 3rd antenna.

(4) Looks like the only place to put it within UX31A (UX32VD as well) is into the hinge where the 2 stock antennas are (see the reference to 'step 20' from my previous post). The hinge is the only not aluminium outer cover -- the latter, as reported in the neighbour thread, seems to kill the wireless signal (link). The stock antennas are located at the left/right edges of the hinge. So, perhaps I could put the 3rd antenna in the middle and on the other side of the hidge. I suspect, however, that doing it may cause a serious interference which will affect the wireless performance.

(5) I measured that I need a circa 37cm-long cable to put the 3rd antenna up to the middle of the hinge. This seller and item have good feedback and may provide you with extra antennas if you brake something (link).

(6) Perhaps another choice is to ignore the 3rd antenna - but it will result in no bluetooth (see the link in (4) above) and perhaps a serious WiFI performance degradation.

(7) Yes another choice may be going for an AzureWave 2x2 AC model if I am able to find one (haven't found any compatible Killer models).

I will continue researching and will put what I find here. Suggest you do the same.

10. ekbduffy

ekbduffy Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, Zhenya.
    poor performance of Intel 7260 - agreed, many messages on the net.
    I think that third antenna can just be placed near the card itself. For sure, as was mentioned here - it's not good idea for antennas, but at least we will have two of them in good place :)
    I don't want to disassemble screen part of notebook. I have a friend with ux31a like ,and he updated screen to IPS fullHD. He got damage on bezel around the screen.
    So i'll order AW-CB160H from taobao soon( it will took about a month to arrive into my place). Will keep updated.