Upgrading ASUS UX32VD Wireless Card - Antenna Connector Problem, Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by aznriptide859, Sep 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rikigst

rikigst Newbie

Reputations:
    that's a MHF 3 to U.FL adapter. Did you mean this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/MHF-4-MHF4-...207?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a54c2e8ff

2. Scooby00

Scooby00 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi !

I don’t know if it has already posted somewhere, I think I have found something interresting for those who want to upgrade their UX32vd wifi adapter. Like many of us, I was searching a solution to upgrade the wifi adapter of my UX32VD - one of the last upgradable think that I haven’t upgraded in that laptop :p

I wanted to keep the stock antenna plug and avoid soldering things so I’ve found a workable solution to fit an Intel 7260 in my Zenbook. The only wifi cards I’ve found that use the small MHF4 antenna plug of the Zenbook was the the wifi cards using the newer m.2 interface instead the mini PCIe in the Zenbook. So I’ve bought an M.2 NGFF to Mini PCIe adapter (I took mine here : http://www.mfactors.com/m2mp1-m2mp1-e-m-2-ngff-to-mini-pcie-pcie-usb-adapter/) and an Intel 7260NGW Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 :

[​IMG]

Here is before the changes. Note that the main antenna (#1) (black wire) is on the left side of the old card. Be gentle while removing those two antennas.

[​IMG]

Here is the old PCI-e card (center) compared to the new M.2 Intel 7260 (right). Note the antennas plugs are the same on this model :

[​IMG]

While the antenna plugs are both MHF4, but the MAIN and AUX plugs are not in the same order than the old card. You will have to plug the black wire on the right plug instead on the left one on the old card.

The adapter comes with a screw in the top hole that you need to put on the lower hole to fit the half size m.2 card. You will also have to break the top , left and right tab on the adapter.
    [​IMG]

Here is the adapter with the card screwed and tabs removed :

[​IMG]

To get it fit well, I only used one of the two washers that came with the top screw. I put one washer between the adapter and the card to keep them from touching each other :

[​IMG]

The problem with that kind of adapters is that they add some height compared to the original configuration. I was worried the bottom cover couldn’t fit anymore. It’s finally ok, but the back cover is now touching the new card.

[​IMG]

To be sure to avoid shorts between the antennas plugs and the cover, I put some tape over the antennas plugs. Here is the final configuration :

[​IMG]

Don’t forget to swap the antennas wires (see the white and the black indications on the card)

And since our UX32VD is getting some age, it's a good idea to clean the air vents before putting the cover back on !

And it worked :) The card can work right after booting but it’s always a good thing to update to the latest drivers on Intel site.

With the new card, I had to re-enter my wifi passwords and redo any Bluetooth pairings. Other annoyance, since I’ve changed my hard drive and added RAM last year, the wifi adapter upgrade was a little too much changes compared to the stock laptop for the windows activation algorithms. I had to call the Microsoft automated phone activation to reactivate my Windows. But now everything works ! I’m getting 866 Mbps (the max the card can handle) when I’m in front of my Asus RT-AC66U, and about 520 Mbps when I’m about 20 feet further in my living room. I can’t really tell if the range is better, but at least for the same distance, speed is faster.

[​IMG]

Hope that helps someone !

P.

3. andytseng1

andytseng1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just wanted to say I got a 7260 card from thenextdon13 as well, and it's working great. Haven't tested it out extensively, but the old card would take forever to connect from sleep, drop out here and there, etc... No such problems with the new card yet.

4. tkgt

tkgt Newbie

Reputations:
  5. clarkchang

clarkchang Newbie

Reputations:
    I have tried both of rikigst's cable adapter and Scooby00's Mini PCIe adapter. The winner is mini PCIe adapter. When my laptop stay close to AP. Both of solutions can reach 866Mb/s. However, when I move my UX32VD to the other room (30ft away). The rikigst's solution dropped to 243Mb/s, but Scooby00's can still stay in 350Mb/s. Hope this is helpful.

rikigst's solution: low cost, but not easy to connect the MHF4 to adapter (maybe it's due to my fat finger)
    Scooby00's solution: little higher cost, but very easy to install.

Thanks,
    Clark

6. clarkchang

clarkchang Newbie

Reputations:
    I have tried both of rikigst's cable adapter and Scooby00's Mini PCIe adapter. The winner is mini PCIe adapter. When my laptop stay close to AP. Both of solutions can reach 866Mb/s. However, when I move my UX32VD to the other room (30ft away). The rikigst's solution dropped to 243Mb/s, but Scooby00's can still stay in 350Mb/s. Hope this is helpful.

rikigst's solution: low cost, but not easy to connect the MHF4 to adapter (maybe it's due to my fat finger)
    Scooby00's solution: little higher cost, but very easy to install.

Thanks,
    Clark

7. algodon

algodon Newbie

Reputations:
    It seems so ludicrous that ASUS has used so many proprietary/non-standard connectors and parts in this laptop. I love this computer, but the proprietary SSDs and now the MHF4 antenna connectors have caused me a lot of grief and lost time!!

8. AlexanderIbahim

AlexanderIbahim Newbie

Reputations:
    with some occasional issues (sometimes when I move my laptop from the desk to the bed, it'll randomly disconnect) that I'm not sure if it's caused by bad installation or just the early drivers.

9. xyzbird

xyzbird Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks to Scooby00. I too have upgraded per his post #32. The only bit I did different was to grind down the larger diameter pillar of the module upper attachment spacer so that the bit extending below the adapter does not touch parts on the motherboard and added insulation where the distance is tight. There was no need to add insulation on top of the module as there was already some plastic film applied by Asus in the bottom cover.

Unfortunately on another UX32A that I have, a while ago I cut the antenna connectors off and removed the AC7260 sockets. Soldering direct was extremely difficult but it worked OK. I have managed to find a replacement antenna and returned the PC back to original plus the parts in Scooby00's post, and got that one working properly too.

One of the AC7260NGW modules antenna connections I have is marked Main and Aux corresponding to the White and Black triangles respectively on another. Having changed the WiFi antenna, the black wire comes from the Main and the white from the Aux. So this means that Scooby00 has his antenna connectors the wrong way round. This might make a difference to the WiFi performance.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    codingdave likes this.
  10. Jacky Leong

Jacky Leong Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Scooby00, I have been reading from 1st thread till I saw your pics. I saw Amazon is selling this version which looks like the original wifi card without the need for the adapter. Can someone confirm this thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/Bplus-7260-H...CBV64/ref=cm_sw_em_r_sawdtod_7pb7wb19WWG6G_tt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.