Upgrading ASUS UX32VD Wireless Card - Antenna Connector Problem, Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by aznriptide859, Sep 10, 2013.

1. ViRGE

ViRGE Newbie

Reputations:
    After picking up a 7260 for my UX21A and unfortunately discovering the MHF4 connector, I came across this thread. NextDon, if you have any more of the modded 7260s available it would be a godsend if I could buy one off of you.

I can be reached at [redacted]. And thank you.

2. ViRGE

ViRGE Newbie

Reputations:
    For anyone curious, my card from NextDon arrived a couple of days ago and everything is looking great.

I don't have a suitable camera on hand to post pictures of it (though he certainly can if he wants), but the handiwork on attaching the MHF4 connector is extremely well done. You can tell that it's a modification and that it's not the factory configuration, but only just, and that's mostly due to some slight discoloration of the label from the soldering process. Otherwise my card was well done and the connector is solidly attached, all the more impressive given the fact that he had to deal with these tiny SMT components by hand.

Actual performance is looking good as well. I was a bit worried that the hand soldered connectors wouldn't perform as well as machine mounted connectors, but that has not been the case. If anything the modified 7260 is slightly better than the 6235; 2.4GHz is about the same, but I was seeing reception maybe a dBm or two better on the 7260 with my N router. Consequently transfer speeds in my were around 10% better too, topping out at bit over 11MB/sec.

For anyone looking for a more comprehensive review of 7260 (as opposed to NextDon's work) I haven't seen any stability problems. Granted I'm only testing this in my house, so I'm not trying to pull in any especially weak signals, but in-house everything has been great. As far as it behaves for me it's a 6235 that now does AC.

Speaking of AC, my new AC router (RT-AC87U) arrived the day after I installed the 7260. I can't compare 6235 to 7260 on this router, but AC performance with the 7260 has been excellent. I'm seeing 40MBs+ transfers from my office, with the link speed usually running at 650Mbps or 780Mbps. So real world bandwidth efficiency is around 50%. No doubt these high transfer speeds are due in large part to the rather large antennas on the Asus router (my previous E3000 used smaller internal antennas), but at the same time it means the 7260 has had no problem keeping up. For a laptop I thought was at a dead end due to a lack of other compatible adapters, being able to more than treble my wireless network speeds is wonderful.

3. thenextdon13

thenextdon13 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for posting Virge! I am glad to hear that it is working well for you.

For folks looking for pictures, see my sites page here; It has a link to a g+ album with some rework pictures:
    UX32A AC Wireless Adapter - Useful-Info

4. yzarc1

yzarc1 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone, just wanted to report on my experience with thenextdon13's card.

Everything went very smoothly. Payment, delivery, and craftsmanship were excellent.

I live in Italy, so speed is not a concern. (I have 1MB/s DSL at home, and this is the best I can get!) The big issue for me was the connection flaking out when the signal strength was low. I hoped that this upgrade would fix the issue. Before installing the new card, I brought my laptop to the location where I could reproducibly break the connection. I swapped out the card and went to the same location. It seemed like I could go very slightly further, but not significantly.

At that point, I realized that I forgot to test the old card while receiving data. Luckily my friend has the same laptop, so we brought them side-by-side at the edge of the WiFi zone, and compared our transfer rates, and swapping places to make sure one location wasn't favored over the other. There were large fluctuations in the download rate, but his laptop with the original card seemed to have a slightly larger transfer rate overall.

In summary, thenextdon13's work is excellent, but for weak connections, my testing showed no reliable improvement over the original card. I'm sad, but it was worth the try. I'm planning to keep the new card, since I am terrified of damaging the antenna connectors by doing a second swap.

5. Ahambone

Ahambone Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm also interested in a mod. I've got a 1202 card that I tried taping with no success. I'd love to have the connectors switched out.

6. bishop225

bishop225 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Is there any reason why just buying an antenna that has the right connectors like posted earlier wouldn't work?

7. rikigst

rikigst Newbie

Reputations:
    I've tried this just now, with a pair of antennas bought off ebay coming from china. This is the setup, which yields a 70 mbps downlink 802.11ac throughput WITHOUT the rear cover screwed on, and 20/30 with.
    [​IMG]

Turning the antennas upside down decreases the speed 10-fold to an abysmal 2-3 mpbs.
    Putting them somewhere else bends either the touchpad (by sticking them further up the battery), or the motherboard (bottom of the picture).
    Does anybody have any suggestion on how to improve this?
    Fitting them where the original antennas are (inside the plastic screen hinge, below the motherboard in the picture) is unfeasible, maybe do other antennas from other laptops fit?

8. MilesTeg81

MilesTeg81 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone! Thanks for this great thread! I've bought the 7260 ac some weeks ago and I'm now trying to optimize my wifi connection. I removed the outer pins (as recommended) and used simple glue/ isolationtape to fix the connectors (I got up to 15 MB/s network speed). But still, there seems to be room for improvement (ac should be able to transfer real 30 MB/s).

A wild guess: While it might not be very elegant maybe you can try to attach the antenna outside of the case?
    I've read the aluminium case of the zenbook might cause interference problems:
    http://www.kirpininyeri.com/2012/05/asus-zenbook-wireless-problem-solution/

Anyway, some general suggestions for a good testing envirenment:
    - test with a dedicated NAS-Device or another PC with cabled connection to your router. This ensures there are no bottlenecks. between the router antennas and your remote storage.
    - place laptop and router in the same room to ensure optimal wireless connection.
    - Be sure you've switched to 5 GHz and windows connection status shows 500+ MBit/s.
    - don't connect other devices to your router / disable services that might transfer data in the background (windows update service etc.)

9. MarcBex

MarcBex Newbie

Reputations:
    I just received my modified 7260 from thenextdon13. Excellent workmanship, works like a charm with my Asus RT-AC68U. Awesome solder-fu, I can't tell the card has been modified. I did have full speed (I have a 18/5 connection) with my previous card now & then, but so far, this one is fully stable, which my old 6235 certainly wasn't. I hope and trust speeds will remain stable :)

I'll try it with my Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter one of these days, that one was a major hit & miss with my old 6235 card.

Edit: Wasn't able to make the wireless display adapter work. Had to install an older version of Intel's WiDi due to my older processor (i7-3517U) and older graphics (Intel HD 4000); the adapter was detected instantly, but when I connect, nothing happens. This is an improvement over the 6235 which wouldn't even detect the adapter most of the time, but clearly not enough to make WiDi (Intel) work with Miracast (Microsoft Wireless Display Adpater). Ah well. Had to give it a go :)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    shouff77 likes this.
  10. secuuda

secuuda Newbie

Reputations: