Upgrading an NP9870/P870DM-G to an i7-7700k

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by MadDoctor, Feb 23, 2019.

1. MadDoctor

MadDoctor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello all. I recently acquired a used NP9870 for a good deal that I plan on upgrading. I'm currently looking at the possibility of upgrading to a 7700K from the 6700K. I have read that it is possible to do and someone was working on the software necessary to do so. Did anything ever come of this? I cannot seem to find the thread where it was talked about. I would really like to upgrade my CPU as I plan on doing a lot of autocad work in the future and I really just like tinkering with things and have yet to try my hand at software. Any help will greatly appreciated. Thank you

jaybee83 likes this.
  2. MadDoctor

Reputations:
  3. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    All you need is a BIOS to recognise the 7th gen CPU.

The question is, why bother, you can undervolt and set the 6700K to the same multis as the 7700K. Other than the revised 14nm process making the 7th gen a tad more efficient and overclockable, they are basically identical

If you really want more CPU powah, look at adding cores by upgrading to 8th gen or 9th gen CPUs. My 9900K upgrade literally doubled the maximum output of the 6700K it replaced.

jaybee83 likes this.
  4. MadDoctor

Reputations:
    I was looking to get efficient power. Enough juice to get the job done but not so much that it drains battery down quickly. How would an 8th or 9th gen work? I thought only the kaby lake cores would work on these machines.

5. MadDoctor

Reputations:
    How would I go about getting a custom bios to support a 7700k? Would Prema be willing to sell one?

6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    No matter what chip you get the battery wont improve. 8th and 9th gen would drain more power.

7. MadDoctor

Reputations:
    So the 7700K would be the most powerful CPU I could install without seeing a major drain on the battery, correct?

8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    All of them including the 7700k can put a major drain on the battery. This device is not designed to last long on battery under load (330w power brick, 95Wh battery) it's just a limit or battery tech.

Papusan and jaybee83 like this.
  9. MadDoctor

Reputations:
    So I have found a couple of benchmarks of people who have installed a 7700K in a p870dm.
    Here: http://valid.x86.fr/qnklp9
    Also here: https://browser.geekbench.com/geekbench3/8500151

I now know it is totally possible to do. I just have to try and get the prema mod bios. I do not think I will be able to do this. Prema does not sell his bios to individual users, correct? Only retailers can get it I have read.

@Papusan How did you come by obtaining the bios?

10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    It's totally possible, I ran it but you are going from a max 4.4ghz ish to 4.7ghz ish with a similar power consumption increase.

jaybee83 likes this.