Upgrading a Graphics Card? <<<Read Before Posting>>>

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Charles P. Jefferies, Feb 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charles P. Jefferies

    Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

    Reputations:
    14,515
    Messages:
    36,136
    Likes Received:
    2,450
    Trophy Points:
    581
    One of the most commonly asked qustions around here is "Can I upgrade my graphics card?"

    The answer is no, so don't ask.


    And also - if you have a top-spec machine, don't ask "Can I run this game at high settings". Read the Graphics Card Guide, it breaks down video cards in their respective classes and will help you out.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  2. dr_st

    dr_st Notebook Deity

    Reputations:
    571
    Messages:
    1,437
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    55
    NO, YOUR GRAPHICS CARD CANNOT BE UPGRADED!!!

    Haha, just had to do it. Especially considering it was my idea to begin with.

    Edit:

    And before we get complaints, yes, some (VERY FEW) notebooks that use MXM or AXIOM graphics have upgradable graphics card. If your notebook has this option, chances are it will be touted SO MUCH by the manufacturer that you already know about it and don't need to ask. So don't. :p
     
  3. mongoloido

    mongoloido Notebook Consultant

    Reputations:
    7
    Messages:
    105
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    30
  4. Charles P. Jefferies

    Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

    Reputations:
    14,515
    Messages:
    36,136
    Likes Received:
    2,450
    Trophy Points:
    581
    That's with a Dell. We're going for a general and accurate statement. 99% of notebooks cannot be upgraded. The other 1% are the Dells and MXM/AXIOM notebooks.
     
  5. mongoloido

    mongoloido Notebook Consultant

    Reputations:
    7
    Messages:
    105
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    30
    Got it. Thank you. :)
     
  6. Darbyjack

    Darbyjack Notebook Evangelist

    Reputations:
    73
    Messages:
    646
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    the i9300 can be upgraded right?
     
  7. dr_st

    dr_st Notebook Deity

    Reputations:
    571
    Messages:
    1,437
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    55
    Yeah, I think so.
     
  8. Jenson

    Jenson Notebook Evangelist NBR Reviewer

    Reputations:
    677
    Messages:
    663
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    30
    As long as it's with another Dell video card. You can't for example take the 7800GTX out of a NP5720 and stick it in a Dell, but I believe the 7800 that is in the e1705 can be installed into the i9300, but I believe you need a 9 cell battery, and a ac adapter, but that may only be when upgrading from the X300 to a 6800, not for sure on that part.

    Matt
     
  9. arunz

    arunz Newbie

    Reputations:
    0
    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    5
    I recently bought a SavRow Blade-75 laptop, which apparently features upgradeable graphics ( http://www.savrow.com/Racing/blade-75 )

    It already has a Nvidia 7800 GTX :D so I won't be upgrading for a while, but its nice to know its possible...
     
  10. Ice-Tea

    Ice-Tea MXM Guru NBR Reviewer

    Reputations:
    476
    Messages:
    1,260
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    55
    Looks like a Clevo M570.
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page