Upgrading a CF-31 to Run Windows 10

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Toughbook, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Okay... Problem solved... For now!

To get the Hotkeys to work I originally installed the old W7 driver for the video. It installed but would give an error message upon reboot saying that Windows installed the Basic Video Driver. The hotkeys didn't work. So... I uninstalled the video driver and rebooted. It worked fine for a while but then somehow reverted to the driver I loaded and the brightness controls didn't work again shown the driver was an Intel 3000 driver.

So this time I deleted the driver and checked the box to delete the software also. Upon reboot... My hotkeys are working properly nd I am using the Windows Basic Video Driver.

I also tried to install the video drivers I downloaded yesterday but they are for 64bit machines and wouldn't install properly.

So it looks like I am good for now!

On a side note... I fabbed up a base mount for my Havis laptop stand in my truck. It works but the tube is a little too tall. Also, even though I welded it out of 1/4" thick flatbar... It is a little too springy to use just one mounting point. This Havis assembly weights A LOT! So I made an offer of $50 for a Havis base mount for my truck and I'll fab a quick release for it somehow when the part comes in.

2. gbrittenum

gbrittenum Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    How has it run with Windows 10 on it?

3. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    I have to say... After making fun of Win8 for so long and hating it... I really like Win 10... I used Classic Shell to make it look more like W7... I am just used to being able to be only a click or two away from what I want...

With an SSD... I boot up in about 12 seconds... Shutdown in about 4 seconds.

I love it so far!

Shawn likes this.
  4. theoak2

theoak2 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Right-click on Windows "Start" button in lower left corner for very convenient access to device manager, power options, disk management, computer management, task manager, admin command prompt (or power shell), apps and features ("programs & features"), and "run" command.

These were the things I used control panel for mostly. After getting used to this, I actually find that when customers bring an "old" Windows 7 computer, I wish Win 7 had this feature.

UNCNDL1 and Shawn like this.