Upgraded m18x r2 with 3940xm, 1070 mxmb and windows 10 but card not showing

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by dab89, Jun 7, 2020.

1. dab89

dab89 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi all

Had someone help me install windows 10 pro, 3940xm and 1070m on my m18x R2. However the card didn't seem to show up.

He got it to the point where it would show intel 4000 and Microsoft basic application on device manager but told me that he couldn't install any of the Nvidia drivers. Showed code 31 back then

I tried to troubleshoot, downloaded an OSD file update, tried FN+f7 and got 8 beeps post. Took out battery, cleared CMOS and got it to work again however now only intel 4000 showing in device manager. I ran command prompt to show hidden devices and it showed basic application again.. I uninstalled and tried installing Nvidia graphics again but didn't work and now it's not showing at all.

I've got the unlockedaunlocked bios posted here by Raidrair (says sv17 mod) and it shows no dedicated card detected. I tried to set video mode to PEg in bios but constantly get 8 beeps and it resets to igfx when I fix it again.

I'd really appreciate any advice or suggestions. I sent him some guides on how to install etc and he spent ages trying to get it to work without success but granted he doesn't usually deal with this stuff. I still have my old 680m but I'm not great at assembly disassembly so ideally don't want to put it back in then replace again

Many thanks for any advice. Ive tried reading countless threads through googling but not sure what I'm missing. Quite noob at this sort of upgrades

Edit think it was a clean windows install so not sure if all the drivers like command centre etc have been installed but not sure if that would make the difference?

Edit2 also NVIDIA Display Driver Service is not listed under services if that makes a diff. And windows version is 1909

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  2. dab89

Reputations:
    Ok got the Microsoft basic display adaptor to show again by switching to SG mode in bios so back to square 1. With warning sign and error code 31

3. dab89

Reputations:
  4. dab89

Reputations:
    ok ive set boot to UEFI and tried modifying the driver by adding the first line from "device description --> hardware ID" and
    NVIDIA_DEV.1BE1.057B.1028 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070" (taken from https://www.techinferno.com/index.p...x-r4-another-socket-victory-against-bga-crap/) into the info file but it still wouldnt install the driver.

i did notice however that when i go into Bios it now does show Nvidia GFX where as before it was just integrated. however thats about it.

EDIT: by turning off driver install in troubleshoot i was able to finally force install the driver after a bit of editing but it still fails.

this is what i have in my Device manager hardware ID:
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1BA1&SUBSYS_05501028&REV_A1

Not sure what "section" to add in the editing plus in the strings section there are multiple 1070 lines so not sure if i need to double copy? really struggling and not sure what else to do :(

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  5. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It looks to just be a driver issue if it is detected in your BIOS and shows as the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. Are you running Windows 10?

Try this one (Windows 10 only). I believe it has my 1070 inf included. Don't forget to disable driver signature enforcement first. I always find it's best to use DDU first. The setup.exe is in the International folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zaeo09kc7dgao2n/AACIbOdgsnlrfAIcsF-09H8Aa?dl=0

M18x-oldie likes this.
  6. dab89

Reputations:
    Thank you very much I will try it first thing in the morning.

I am running Windows 10 pro version 1909

7. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If it works, I'll drop a link for the most recent driver

M18x-oldie likes this.
  8. dab89

Reputations:
    unfortunately it didnt work. i ran DDU in safe mode and did "clean & restart" and "clean and shutdown" and then tried to run installer from the download you provided but each time it failed. It still shows Microsoft Basic Display Adapter in device manager.

when doing this, i didnt remove the 1070 in between. would i need to do that? install the 680m again, reflash bios, install everything to make sure it all works, then run DDU, remove 680, install 1070 then install new drivers? really hoping to avoid any install/reinstall because not too 100% confident in that but i guess if thats the only way...

Edit: I did switch of driver enforcement before I did this on previous attempts but I don't kno if it switched back on so I'll try again later today

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  9. dab89

Reputations:
    Ok I disabled driver enforcement and reinstalled the drivers you provided and it now shows up as 1070 on my device manager!!! Is this the end of this nightmare? Do I run a 3d mark test to ensure its working? Do something in bios to ensure its not the integrated one being used?

10. M18x-oldie

M18x-oldie Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You have to run a benchmark for checking purposes, as it's running in Optimus and that's sometimes not switching the GPUs properly, or to check for any other possible flaws.
    So do a Firestrike (and 3dm11) run and post the links to your results here.