Upgraded graphics card?

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by millertime, Jan 3, 2020.

1. millertime

millertime Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry I know this has been done to death, but I have further questions about heatsinks and pastes!

First, which card is best to go for that will work literally plug and play, no modding?

Then do you need to do anything with paste or heatsinks?

Thanks

2. millertime

Reputations:
    Can someone please advise?

Gtx 960 or 970m?

They straight plug and play or do I need to be messing about with new heatsinks etc?

3. blazeghost

blazeghost Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The 970m is in my opinion, the best gpu you can put in your m15x, a few lucky ones were able to make a 980m work, but it´s really hard to balance power and heat issues with that card.
    Just stick with the 970m if you can find a cheap one. Its basically plug and play in terms of instalation, but you´ll need a modded driver .inf to go with it. (You can find it in this forum).

Another thing you´ll have to consider if you go with a 970m is your CPU. Which one do you have? You´ll need a 920xm or a 940xm otherwise you´ll bottleneck your new GPU.

And lastly If you end up choosing the 970m and 920xm combo, the stock 150W PSU brick may be to small. The way to go is a good 240W one.

Good luck, and I hope these words can help you in what you are trying to do.-

Melik88 likes this.
  4. millertime

Reputations:
    Hi matey thank you for the reply

It's an i7 q720 quad 1.6 which I take it means you're going to tell me it's way too slow yeah??
    Sadly I think I will need to buy a new laptop, I just feel bad as I love my m15x and it's still working like it should!!

Its like an old friend!

:(

5. millertime

Reputations:
    It's only really to play the one game as well

It tells me the pc capability for 3d is 1 star and the graphics during the football/soccer bit are terrible

During everything else though its still fast

Is that because my processor is enough for these min specs but the GPU isnt?

I ran hwmonitor during the game and it said the gpu was literally at 100pc!!

Never heated above 74deg though

• CPU: Intel Pentium 4 (64-bit), Intel Core 2 or AMD Athlon 64 – 2.2 GHz +
    • RAM: 2 GB.
    • HDD: 7 GB.
    • GPU: Intel GMA X4500, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT or AMD/ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 – 256MB VRAM.
    • OS: Windows 7 (SP1), 8/8.1, 10 (Update 1803/April 2018 or later) – 64-bit.

6. blazeghost

blazeghost Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ok, so if its only for that game a 970m will be an overkill and you wont be using its full power without changing the cpu and PSU. You'll be better with a cheaper option like an AMD Firepro M6100, an amd 6970 or an amd 7970 among other cards (search for m15x gpu upgrade in this forum to read all the options available).

Don't go the overclock route with the 260m if you don't change the thermal paste first, or chances are you'll end up burning it or thermal throtling it without any gain. But only expect somewhere between 10% clock gains at the most. And that won't make any change in game visuals.

Finally if you want to bring your laptop back to life consider changing the hard drive for any cheap ssd and you'll see a huge upgrade there.
    Again good luck

7. millertime

Reputations:
    Ok superb thank you very much, just seems like it's too soon to say goodbye to my old friend as it still works admirably and as I say, nothing is over heating or anything

If I'm in the uk, is my only option for one of those cards going to be second hand I take it? Are the ones you recommended JUST on par with what the game needs as per below, or quite a bit faster?

7970 one you said is the best of those 3 I take it?

GPU: Intel GMA X4500, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT or AMD/ATI Mobility Radeon

Ps really appreciate your help

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  8. blazeghost

blazeghost Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  9. millertime

Reputations:
    Hi mate ok ordered the 6100 firepro, primarily down to availability!!

Can you advise me on once it arrives, do I need anything else?

Or will this fit into existing bracket and it's just a case of more thermal paste I need to add to the top before putting the old heatsink back on?

Will I need a specific driver or just from amd site?

Thank you again

10. blazeghost

blazeghost Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ok, I have no experience with that particular card, but if I dont recall wrong you'll need to reuse the x-bracket from your 260m. Just be extra carefull when removing it. Secure the card, clean the heatsink, repaste, put everything back again and you are done.

Just try amd official drivers and you should be ok.
    And again dont forget you can use the search bar, there are plenty of other people who made the exact same upgrade and you can use their experience, thats the reason for this forum. Use the time you'll have until your card arrives to search for posible issues and how to fix them so you wont waste any time when you get the card and you'll be ready for any doubt you may come across.
    In the same way you may find some tricks and mods for improving your cards power and tools such as modded vbios to increase performance.
    Good luck ;)