Upgraded GPU to R9 M290x

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by MZWiZard, Dec 16, 2016.

1. bartuc66

bartuc66 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Will it ever be possible to give this video card native fan control (even in theory)? I've been wanting to buy this card, but I don't wish to deal with the noise that blades spinning 4.5K rpms will generate.

2. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    no. the Clevo/dell EC is simply not compatible with the hardware on this card. Only cards that will work are the MSI 8970M/R9 M290X 2GB version and the Dell 7970M or Clevo 7970M V1.2

3. bartuc66

Reputations:
    Has anyone tried installing an AMD m390x (W7170m)? There is one currently being sold on eBay. How do I know if an MxM card is compatible with LVDS?

4. King of Interns

King of Interns Simply a laptop enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not yet. It holds promise although it is likely to be a hot card. Even if it does support LVDS (you will not find out without testing it) 980M+ levels of heat will make it a very tricky card to run stably in the M15x. Not just from a thermal perspective but also current. The M15x MXM circuits were not designed to withstand 130W-150W TDP cards. As such the power it limited to around 130W beyond this you will get crashes, freezes and generally risk damaging the card. This is why 970M is a good match up. It runs under 100W tdp thus having plenty of headroom even under heavy load or a decent overclock.

5. bartuc66

Reputations:
    I apologize for the necro, but an opportunity has presented itself to me to day and I wish to hopefully gather some more information before it passes me by.

I have the opportunity to purchase an essentially new AMD m390x card for $200 USD. I don't mind risking the LVDS support, but I am worried about what you said in regards to that card's TDP. Where did you gather those 130-150 watt values? Techpowerup has that card at 75 watts and other sites are showing 100 watts. I tried searching multiple websites but have so far been unable to locate one that points higher than 100 watts. (I also acknowledge that I may not be fully understanding the information presented in the websites such as Techpowerup)

I have considered buying the Nvidia 970m, but that card still retails for over $350 USD on eBay.

6. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Go for it dude, be brave! I can't be the only one doing all the tests. Makes me poor very quickly :(

7. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    i'm one of the brave one too ... lol I know the M390X definitely work in the M18X-R2 , but I don't want to buy it.

8. King of Interns

Reputations:
    Please go for it! I don't keep up much but until a year ago at least (when I was commonly around these boards before I lost interest due to the soldered crap that is mainly available these days) Nvidia always released drivers that crippled their older cards allowing previously "slower" AMD cards to beat them in performance.

The M390X at release was positioned at 965M - 970M performance levels HOWEVER if the above still holds true and if it still holds true that AMD continually make their older GPUs shine then the 390X might now be a very good buy. I am fairly certain that it is a better binned version of the M295X with slightly lower clocks. It is well known that the 8970M and M290X were basically better binned 7970Ms that ran at lower voltages for same clock speeds which meant cooler and more reliable.

Could be a fun card to play with.

9. King of Interns

Reputations:
    I will test the 390X out on the M15x during the summer. Will try to pick one up on the cheap. I can confirm the card does support LVDS and other than the 970M will be the most powerful card compatible in the M15x. If Nvidia release crippleware as usual then in time the most powerful....