Upgraded GPU to R9 M290x

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by MZWiZard, Dec 16, 2016.

1. bartuc66

bartuc66 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Will it ever be possible to give this video card native fan control (even in theory)? I've been wanting to buy this card, but I don't wish to deal with the noise that blades spinning 4.5K rpms will generate.

2. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    no. the Clevo/dell EC is simply not compatible with the hardware on this card. Only cards that will work are the MSI 8970M/R9 M290X 2GB version and the Dell 7970M or Clevo 7970M V1.2

3. bartuc66

Reputations:
    Has anyone tried installing an AMD m390x (W7170m)? There is one currently being sold on eBay. How do I know if an MxM card is compatible with LVDS?

4. King of Interns

King of Interns Simply a laptop enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not yet. It holds promise although it is likely to be a hot card. Even if it does support LVDS (you will not find out without testing it) 980M+ levels of heat will make it a very tricky card to run stably in the M15x. Not just from a thermal perspective but also current. The M15x MXM circuits were not designed to withstand 130W-150W TDP cards. As such the power it limited to around 130W beyond this you will get crashes, freezes and generally risk damaging the card. This is why 970M is a good match up. It runs under 100W tdp thus having plenty of headroom even under heavy load or a decent overclock.

5. bartuc66

Reputations:
    I apologize for the necro, but an opportunity has presented itself to me to day and I wish to hopefully gather some more information before it passes me by.

I have the opportunity to purchase an essentially new AMD m390x card for $200 USD. I don't mind risking the LVDS support, but I am worried about what you said in regards to that card's TDP. Where did you gather those 130-150 watt values? Techpowerup has that card at 75 watts and other sites are showing 100 watts. I tried searching multiple websites but have so far been unable to locate one that points higher than 100 watts. (I also acknowledge that I may not be fully understanding the information presented in the websites such as Techpowerup)

I have considered buying the Nvidia 970m, but that card still retails for over $350 USD on eBay.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. and MZWiZard like this.
  6. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Go for it dude, be brave! I can't be the only one doing all the tests. Makes me poor very quickly :(

Rengsey R. H. Jr. and MZWiZard like this.
  7. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    i'm one of the brave one too ... lol I know the M390X definitely work in the M18X-R2 , but I don't want to buy it.