1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Upgraded Acer 3680 Celeron CPU to a T5300!

Discussion in 'Acer' started by krazyphire, Jan 8, 2008.

1. kawasakiinit

kawasakiinit Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    well i swapped the cpu over to the Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T5200 2M Cache, 1.60 GHz, 533 MHz and nothing would boot up and the screen was blank with out power.it would turn on but then straight away turn off within 2 seconds but if i tried to turn it on a few times it would turn on still without any screen at all and it would just search for the dvd/cd drive and then do nothing ? .i have now put my old cpu back in and its as it was (working properly albeit slow due to cpu).

in the interest of learning what have i done wrong ? should i be loading another bios with the new cpu ?? i read on here somebody has just done what i did and it worked,now im confused lol ..........

2. yock1960

yock1960 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's nice to find a thread like this when you need it!

I pulled a 3680-2682 out of the closet to see if it might be an upgrade to an even older HP Pavilion running XP with a Sempron 3000+. I have put a larger HD (but no faster) in and have finally got Vista up to date. The T5300 is on it's way and this should make a nice replacement for the older machine, which I use to control my telescope imaging rig.

I find it interesting and puzzling about the 2GB memory limit. I understand that 2GB is the limit imposed by the chipset, but find it odd that it recognizes 2.5GB as does the Windows system properties screen, but the task manager performance tab only shows 2GB system memory.

I have contemplated flashing the 1.3508 bios to see if this changes anything. Even at 2GB, I think it will do fine, but more memory is always nice!

Long live the thread! :)

3. yock1960

yock1960 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, chalk up another successful upgrade of a 3680-2682! I got the T5300 yesterday and installed it with only minor issues. Still running 32 bit Vista, I'm not sure it's worth the effort or money to go above that with only 2GB of RAM. My memory footprint with 4 or 5 programs running is about 1GB, so it's not starved for resources. I might/could pop a small SSD in as a boot drive and replace the CD/DVD with another HD as a data drive. I'll wait and see if any issues pop up 1st.

4. fortyz

fortyz Newbie

Reputations:
    I recently upgraded a Acer 3680, from a Celeron M 440, 1.86 ghz. To the Core 2 duo T7200, 666mhz front side bus. the laptop the i943 chipset variant. Just thought I would let other posters know that's it's possible. I purchased the t7200 for around 11$ on ebay. I also upgraded the Wireless card to a Wireless N card, the original was only G.

5. bcus

bcus Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the Acer Aspire 3680 2472 laptop and i want to upgrade to the Intel Merom T7600 core duo cpu. I found this on another forum, what is the risk of buying a modded T7600 cpu?

I am sure there's a big price difference from a modded T7600 merom and the original one from Intel. I can't find the original legit Intel Merom T7600 on the internet. I checked Amazon and Ebay and per the specifications specs all cpu's i have found are modded and cheap on price (average 100$)..

6. Pixelfehler

Pixelfehler Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey i can Upgrade my Acer aspire 3680 from a singel core to a T6500 dualcore ?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  7. bcus

bcus Newbie

Reputations:
    Success story for this old Acer Aspire 3680 2472 laptop.
    I had a big plan in mind.... after numerous coats of paint, sanding, paint, sanding, clear coats... the beast T7600 Merom arrived after waiting almost a month and a half lol (free shipping cause I wasn't going to spend 20$ extra for a week delivery). All went smooth, took the T7600 Core 2 Duo out of the package, swapped the old with the new, applied a nice coat of thermal paste, assembled the laptop back together after a month a part lol and it turned On first try. I had only luck with this entire process. First, thanks to all the people here that contributed one way or the other for guys likes me with medium skills to be able to do this. Second, the bios version i needed was already installed. Third, i still need to add 1gb more memory and swap the wifi for wifi N or better. Last, i swapped the hdd for a 120gb ssd i have and this thing is very good now.. good for another 3 years.

I wonder if i can swap the LCD with an hd one or even a touch.

Cheers.