Upgraded Acer 3680 Celeron CPU to a T5300!

Discussion in 'Acer' started by krazyphire, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VikingDon

VikingDon Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I wondered if you'd noticed how the thread you started over 4 years ago, is still going strong :)

TY so much for this thread! If you hadn't created it, I would have probably "tossed" the painfully slow (celeron) laptop this Acer once was. But thanks to you, it's many times faster :) I also learned some "geek-skills" with all the upgrades :)

Thanx again... Don

2. pctech42

pctech42 Newbie

Reputations:
    Have any of you guys have problems where the left hinge keeps locking up and breaking? I have replaced mine once due to this and the replacement starting having the same issue after a month of use. THe funny part is I do not open and close it all that often.

3. pwhoever

pwhoever Newbie

Reputations:
    Actually I have had 2 do that and they were both the left side as well. I thought it might just be me. The last time, I let it go too long and I ended up having to replace the upper screen case. I am starting to experience the same symptoms again. I may just get some spares so if it happens again I am ready. I have found them fairly cheap online....

4. sengaaaa

sengaaaa Newbie

Reputations:
    has any1 out there done a upgrade to the internal wireless module? mine has a mini pci-e wireless b/g but im thinking of sticking in a wireless N unit ,i do alot of downloading and my isp has just tripled my download speeds as an upgrade so i want to get the best from it..

5. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If you'll see any improvement in speed depends of what kind of upgrade is it. 802.11g offers some 20mbps of real throughput in good signal conditions- if you far from the router or your internet connection is faster than that you will benefit from the upgrade.
    Anyway- it's a simple swap, antenna connectors are the same so no issues here.

6. sengaaaa

sengaaaa Newbie

Reputations:
    sweet , cheers for the quick reply, once i get it done il let you all know the benefits , cheers

7. squee666

squee666 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For all you guys who want more of a boost Here are some GMA Drivers.

I installed these on my friends netbook Msi with a gma x3100 and he gets a gaming system rating of 3.0 and 3.3 for desktop.

This should give a great boost for you guys in conjunction with GMA BOOSTER.

https://rapidshare.com/files/996192636/Intel_9xxSSF_V1.1E_Win7_x86.7z

Give it a go with gma and show some scores

8. VikingDon

VikingDon Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes actually I put this ( New! Intel Wifi Link 5100 mini PCIe P/N: 512AN_MMW | eBay ) one in about 6 months ago, and although it picked up many more networks, I bought this long-distance external adapter ( Amazon.com: Alfa AWUS036H 1000mW 1W 802.11b/g USB Wireless WiFi Adapter With Original Alfa Screw-On Swivel 9dBi Rubber Antenna and Suction cup Window Mount dock: Computers & Accessories )

9. sengaaaa

sengaaaa Newbie

Reputations:
    well i bought a intel 5100 wma 802.11N mini pci-e form ebay stuck it in and wow , internet is so much faster !! and the wee amber light at the wireless switch now works too . these latops are great !!!

10. pcLaptopNetbook_nOOb

pcLaptopNetbook_nOOb Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, as my user handle states, I am not savvy with anything computer related.

I was recently given a used/good condition acer Aspire 3680-2682 laptop and I began scouring the internet for information regarding this old machine.

After my stumbling upon this forum last week during my research, I really began pondering the idea of upgrading the CPU & RAM.

However, I did have a couple of questions regarding the upgrade process and that is what brought me to joining this forum.

My apologies, as I am not familiar at all with this subject matter. I did remove the panel on the laptop and found that.....

The motherboard to my laptop is the MBAZL060037201ECA02500 : From what I have read on here, that would mean it can use the 943GML chipset, right?

Also, the bios for the laptop is v1.3505

Therefore, would an Intel T5600 - 1.83/2M/667 SL9SG CPU be compatible? If so, is that a good option for an upgrade? Or no?

As far as the RAM goes, would a pair of hynix 1GB PC2-4200S-444-12 be compatible upgrades?

I have never upgraded a computer in my life and the variations in CPU/RAM is somewhat confusing, as well as the hinging to the components themselves.

I really wanted to be certain as to which specific upgrades were available for this model laptop before I committed to buying the components.

If anybody could/would please spare a couple of minutes to school me on this topic I would be most thankful. Thanks for your time and have a good week, peace.

- Daniel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.