Upgraded Acer 3680 Celeron CPU to a T5300!

Discussion in 'Acer' started by krazyphire, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sengaaaaa

sengaaaaa Newbie

Reputations:
    jumping in again , any idea what program i could use to change the product name in my bios, been googling for answers and im lost

2. michaelcly

michaelcly Newbie

Reputations:
    Glad to see this thread still active. I learned a lot

I purchased a t7200 processor and am about to upgrade the processor. I've read through as many of these threads as could. Phew, theres a bunch.

One thing I'm curious about: Why do I have to look at the insides to determine which graphics chipset I have when I see it in device manager? It shows Mobil Intel 945 Express Chipset Family?

Hope I got the correct processor!

I have a 3680-2633

3. ATG

ATG 2x4 Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Because it's the safest way to determine the chipset model.

Device manager and most of diagnostic software tend to report the chipset in a...general way i.e. the software may say you have the 945 chipset but you might actually have the crippled version which is 943. I had ACER laptop a few years ago with a 960L chipset but almost every software out there says I gave the 965 one.....

Anyway if you indeed have the 3860-2633 model I guess you are safe and you really have the 945GML chipset so you can put a T7200 in it.

4. michaelcly

michaelcly Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks ATG. I've read another thread in this forum and found out it's pretty easy to find the mobo number.

I'm going to take my time and read this entire thread before I proceed. I'm glad this thread is still going.

When I finish the upgrade I'll probably put a SSD in it. My guess is that this will be a decent laptop. I have a 64gb SSD in a Dell minni9 with OSX Snow Leopard...SSD's make a big difference.

I got this acer in 2007 for my wife and she turned it on about 10 times. I sold it on eBay for $135 a few weeks back. I mean it was brand new with plastic protective sheets still on it. I then learned an eBay lesson...don't accept returns. When I got it back it looked like it was used as a lunch counter. The palm rest now has a scratch and a ding. I only refunded 110. So I guess I'll have fun souping it up a little and using it.

5. VikingDon

VikingDon Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I had fun souping mine up! I've been running my T7200 overclocked @ 2.24 GHz & 747 MHz FSB for months now... performs abt the same as a T7600, for 1/3 cost :)

6. michaelcly

michaelcly Newbie

Reputations:
    I checked my mobo. It's the AZL06 type. That means I'm good to go with the t7200. All I need is the heatsink paste and I'm good to go.

7. ellalan

ellalan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's amazing this thread still alive after 4 yrs and going strong, all credit goes to the excellent work by krazyphire. well done all.

8. sengaaaaa

sengaaaaa Newbie

Reputations:
    dude , u are gonna notice a super difference with the new processor in place , if you have the 945 chipset ,are you going to upgrade the ram? im just waiting to get a ssd for mine , these are great ol laptops ....

9. michaelcly

michaelcly Newbie

Reputations:
    I did it! I did it!

Im now the proud owner of a 3680 2633 with a t7200. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

Next up is an SSD. Then, I want to add ram but not sure which to get. 533ghz ddr2 I suppose. But if I want to clock it up a little I understand the ram will speed up too. But does that mean I should have more than 533ghz ram? I'll figure that out later.

Right now I want to find software that will give me all the new specs. The hardest part was trying to find the numbers on the gpu. Dang they're small and dark. I did this all on my lunch hour which turned out to be a two hour lunch hour :) I used arctic silver 5 and followed the directions on the website to the letter. It is a great guide for thermal paste. My gpu wouldn't make contact so Ihad to reuse the thermal pad.

All you guys are great.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  10. michaelcly

michaelcly Newbie

Reputations:
    I've been part of several forums and threads but I've never seen one like this. It started with a Krazyphire/hoggie/Andy tag team. Eventually the torch got passed along to other tag teams, all the way to you guys that just helped me 4 years later.

Damn.

(No offense meant to any of the contributors I didn't mention.)

ADDED: any problem upgrading my bios to the latest at this point? I'm hoping to boost my gpu to 256mb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.