Upgraded Acer 3680 Celeron CPU to a T5300!

Discussion in 'Acer' started by krazyphire, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sengaaaaa

sengaaaaa Newbie

Reputations:
    wow!!! what a thread .. right , here goes ,,i too have a 3680 on the 945 chipset. im taking the upgrade easy route by installing a t5200 to start with ..now , i currently run win 7 ultimate 32bit , and it runs quite well but im wondering , when i install the t5200 will i need to reinstall win 7 with the 64bit version ? or can i keep the 32 bit version? thanks in advance for any help ,, regards brian.....

2. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You can keep 32bit version unless that's limiting the amount of your RAM (if you want to have or have at least 4GB go 64bit)

3. sengaaaaa

sengaaaaa Newbie

Reputations:
    thanks downloads

4. sengaaaaa

sengaaaaa Newbie

Reputations:
    core 2 duo processor in and running like a dream , 2gb of ram ordered . its amazing that less than £20 has totally transformed my wee laptop, just need to get a faster harddrive now lol

5. Greatadamon

Greatadamon Newbie

Reputations:
    Is there any chance to do this with Acer extensa 5204?

6. VikingDon

VikingDon Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I haven't been here for awhile, but I see the thread is still alive :)

sengaaaaa: If you have the mobo with the 945 chipset, you can put up to 4 gigs of ram in it. Try to get the 800 MHz ram, as you may want to overclock your CPU like I did. I've been running my T7200 @ 2.24 GHz, with 747MHz FSB for months now. With the 7200 RPM HDD it's pretty fast. The Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit) is what I have.

7. sengaaaaa

sengaaaaa Newbie

Reputations:
    cheers viking , my bad - its actually the 943 chipset im running . these things must absolutely fly with 4gb of ram in them ... stuck my 2gb of ram in this morn and got my boot time in windows 7 down to 32 seconds (hitting the power button to full usable desktop) from a minute odds when it had the smelleron processor in it ... another question for the ram people , whats better to have - 2xr16 pc5300s or 2xr8 pc5300s ??

8. VikingDon

VikingDon Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    sengaaaaa, ya it's pretty fast with the 4 gb of ram. Actually I have the pc2-6400 ram (800 MHz fsb). I've overclocked the CPU, which boosts the stock 667 MHz fsb, to about 747 MHz (not to far for the ddr2 limit). With that speed the ram is pc2-5900 (as you can see below). You ought to overclock it like I did, and see what you can get :)

[​IMG]

9. niffcreature

niffcreature ex computer dyke

Reputations:
    Has anyone been able to solder a SATA port onto their Mobo??? :D

Schematic shows a SATA to IDE/PATA converter. What the heck were they doing, getting rid of PATA drives?? :rolleyes:

10. sengaaaaa

sengaaaaa Newbie

Reputations:
    jeez ,thats gonna be more hassle than its worth soldering a sata port onto the mobo .... your aswell getting a sata mobo and selling the pata..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.