Upgraded Acer 3680 Celeron CPU to a T5300!

Discussion in 'Acer' started by krazyphire, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VikingDon

VikingDon Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    No, I didn't mean it to sound you "needed" to buy that board for the cpu upgrade. I meant that board has the 945 chipset, which will allow you to go up to 4 gigs of ram, and also with it, your ram will be running at the full 667 fsb of a t5600 through t7600 core 2 duo. If you have the 3680 with the celeron 440 M, 1.86 ghz cpu, who can replace it with any socket m core 2 duo, up to the t7600 without any other mods.

PS, I don't want to confuse you, and as you already ordered the T7200 it would be too late anyway.

There T7200 has two kinds of sockets. There is the PGA (pin grid array) & the BGA (ball grid array). You don't want the latter. The ones with the BGA sockets are rare, but as I nearly made the mistake of buying one on ebay, I thought I'd better mention it. Here is a little info I copied that may be helpful (they are talking about a T7600, but the same for T7200):

"Folks, you guys are making this more confusing that it needs to be. There are four sockets for Intel mobile processors: Socket 478, 479, M, and P. Despite their numbers and letters, Sockets 478, M, and P have 478 contacts whereas Socket 479 has 479 contacts. The physical sockets are all almost identical, save for the offset of a few pins in the corner of each socket.

PGA and BGA refer to type of contact on the processor. PGA chips have pins on the chip side and BGA chips have "balls" on the chip side. As mentioned, PGA chips are replaceable, while BGA chips are soldered to the motherboard. The pin configuration on the back of the chip is the same, regardless of the contact type.

Because BGA chips are soldered to a mainboard and do not use a physical "socket", they are usually not listed as being associated with a socket. That means that while a T7600 PGA chip is considered a Socket M processor, a T7600 BGA chip is NOT considered a Socket M processor; it is simply a BGA processor (this sort of notation is seen on Wikipedia, as you may have seen).

The SL9SD is a Socket M chip. It has 478 pins. CPUZ is wrong in listing it as being or having 479 anything.

EDIT: Due to the way that the pins are offset between Socket 479 and Socket M, Socket M chips WILL actually physically fit in a Socket 479 motherboard. Of course, it won't work electronically, but it's mechanically compatible nonetheless XD."

2. galo5150

galo5150 Newbie

Reputations:
    @Loco_Colombian

Theres seems to be some confusion regarding your upgrade, so I'm gonna give you a condensed version, just my 2 cents.

This upgrade it's all about the chipsets. Since you are looking to run a T7200 you'll need a board with a 945GML chipset. The 945GML chipset will allow you to run any 667MHz FSB M socket processor, up to a T7600 which is the fastest 667MHz FSB M processor.

If, on the other hand, you have a 943GML chipset, you will only be able to run 533MHz processors such as a T5200 or a T5300.

Now, check the sticker on the ram bay, if it starts with:

MB.AZL06 - you have a 943GML chipset, therefore, you can run M processors with FSB of 533MHz, also you can have a maximum ram of 2GB. The best ram configuration is of course 2x1GB, so you can gain dual channel performance. You can also run a single 2GB ram stick but you'll lose the dual channel performance. Also, if you install 2 sticks of 2GB in an attempt of running 4GB, the board will only recognize 1 of the sticks and stay at 2GB max ram. Also make sure you run 533Mhz ram sticks.

MB.TDX06 - you have a 945GML chipset and can run M processors with a FSB of 667MHz, also you can have a maximum ram of 4GB, the best ram configuration is obviously 2x2GB so you can gain dual channel performance. Also, make sure you buy 667MHz ram sticks.

Important note: the MB.AZL06 (943GML) board comes with a Mini-PCI slot where the wireless card sits in. Now, the MB.TDX06 (945GML) board comes instead with a Mini-PCIe slot, therefore, you'll also need to buy a wireless card for a Mini-PCIe slot if you want wireless.

There are 2 types of Mini-PCIe wireless cards, half-height and full-height. The one you'll need is a full-height. The reason for this is because the Mini-PCIe slot on the MB.TDX06 (945GML) board is configured for a full-height Mini-PCIe wireless card. Also, you'll be getting a wireless-n card, so faster wireless speeds.

You can also opt to get a USB wireless stick, I don't really dig that option, but you can do it if you want, works too.

Finally I'm leaving some links that will help you see all the hardware being mentioned here.

List of M processors with descriptions

MB.TDX06 (945GML) board

4GB Kit (2x2GB Modules) 667MHz PC2-5300 DDR2 SO-DIMM for MB.TDX06 (945GML)

Mini-PCie Wireless-N Card Full-Height

3. RouterRugby

RouterRugby Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    OK guys, I beg to disagree, but:

I have a 3680 running right now with the intel i943/940GML and it has the T5600 CPU core 2 duo on board. It shows VT-x, speedstepping, and nested paging enabled. It shows it is running at 667MHz FBS and it is showing 2.5GB of RAM, which is 1 @2GB and 1 @ .5GB (512kb), so I`m pretty sure when I replace the 512kb with the other 2GB memory stick, it it will show and use 4GB of memory.

I defer on the sockets because Im not that familiar with them( I would have liked to have known that before, since it would have made shopping for a CPU much easier) , but the above is now running on my 3680 machine.

I will test the T7200 on one of my other machines before transferring it to my MB.TDX06 mobo, but I`m pretty sure it will work in the i943/940GML. The proof will be "in the pudding" as they say, but I already have one batch of the goods on the T5600.

4. Loco_Colombian

Loco_Colombian Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Okay, now I'm all kinds of confused. Just to set the record straight, I have the 943gml aka the board that can only hold up to 2 gb of ram, I read at the beginning of the thread and was told by Vikingdon that my chipset can run the T7200. Now I'm being told that It can't, as well as that I might have bought the wrong cpu depending on the Socket, which for that I will post the link so you guys can help me figure out whether I bought the wrong one. Here. Please help me out here because now I'm lost. As far as the installation of the cpu itself I have no problem with that, I've already completely disassembled and reassembled the computer once before a couple days ago so I know what I'm working with.

:As far as buying the 945gml mobo, I was thinking of doing so, so that I can run up to 4gb of rams allowing for a slightly better performance, but like I said I was going to hold off because I don't have the money for it right now. Once again thanks for the all the info and help.

:I just checked the Ram area for the sticker that should have the model number for my mobo, but it seems like it's been ripped off, all that is left is the sticker residue.

5. ellalan

ellalan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, the processor type is wrong, you have bought Package type FCBGA which is normally soldered to the MB, you should have gone for FCPGA package which has pins and fit in to the socket. T7200 CPU will work in your MB but the Package type should be FCPGA. Something similar to this:http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL9SF.html

6. Loco_Colombian

Reputations:
    Thank you so much for the conformation on this ellalan. I already messaged the seller and am hoping to get a response soon, hopefully I got to them before they shipped the Item. I did only buy it later in the after noon yesterday. So I hope they get my message soon.

This here would be exactly what I'm looking for right?

7. ellalan

ellalan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, that should be fine and Good luck.

8. VikingDon

VikingDon Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    OK, about re-clearing some of this up.

Any of the core 2 duo cpu T5200 - T7600 socket M will work fine with your mobo if it's MB.AZL06 or MB.TDX06. From T5600 & up the processors work at 667 fsb. But with the MB.AZL06, the "RAM" will be restricted to 533 fsb. You can install any stick up to 800 fsb, but it will restricted to 533. The MB.TDX06 will allow a 667 stick to run at it's full speed. If you have PC wizard installed, it would show how it works.

Here's exactly what I did with mine:

The first upgrade was to put the T5600 in my acer with the original MB.AZL06 board. PC wizard showed that the cpu was working at 667 MHz, but the 800 MHz stick I had installed, was working at 533 MHz.

The next upgrade was the MB.TDX06 mobo (using the same T5600). After I fired it up, I ran PC wizard, and now it showed the same 800 fsb stick was now running at 667 MHz. I also installed a 2nd 2gb stick.

Galo 5150... as has been proven early on in this discussion (which began in Jan. 08), T5600 to T7600 CAN be used with the board with the 943GML chipset (MB.AZL06), and will show that they are working at 667 fsb. It's the RAM where the fsb is restricted to 533. Also I used the wireless card that was in the MB.AZL06 mobo for the MB.TDX06. So Loco_Colombian doesn't need to buy another wireless card.

9. Loco_Colombian

Reputations:
    Thanks VikingDon. Very very helpful. I have a question. Do you do any gaming on your Aspire 3680? I'd like to know what kind of games you've been able to run on it. I know it's very unlikely because of the lack of a good GPU, but I was able to play League of Legends on this, but with like 8 fps, I'm sure the new Cpu will help raise the FPS. Which leads me to believe that it should be able to run some other games on low settings.

10. VikingDon

VikingDon Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You welcome Loco_Colombian :)

Nope, haven't done any gaming so far. I do use the video converter software, and it's much faster then with the original celeron.

If still have any doubts about what can be done, my first post here on pg 159 is when I had put the T5600 in my MB.AZL06 board.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/acer/206137-upgraded-acer-3680-celeron-cpu-t5300-159.html

Except for the chipset, the board is identical with the MB.TDX06. I just removed the wireless card out of one board and put it in the new one.

BTW, I have that T5600, that I would give you an awesome deal with :) It would be a huge improvement over the celeron, and get a little experience. Then later get the T7200, with the new board. Just a thought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.