Upgraded Acer 3680 Celeron CPU to a T5300!

Discussion in 'Acer' started by krazyphire, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aldodo

aldodo Newbie

Reputations:
    hai ellalan...
    i want ask you again if you do not mind :D
    i want to upgrade my harddisk too,, can i upgrade from 80gb to 320gb???

whether there are limits to upgrade the hard drive???

2. ellalan

ellalan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, you can as long as your new hard drive is 2.5" laptop hard drive.

3. MAGZine

MAGZine Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi...

Just a question.

My laptop states 943i/940GML when I ran the CPU-Z application. Am I ready to go with a dualcore proc, or am I limited to singlecores?

4. ellalan

ellalan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You can use a dual core processor.

5. eoraptor

eoraptor Newbie

Reputations:
    All right. So I stumbled in here after doing a search by motherboard part number from HWinfo32. I'm looking at upgrading my laptop with some new components from parts machines, ebay, etc (it's a battle-worn 5610z incidentally, even the poor lower plate is cracked in a few placed and the optical drive has been replaced multiple times)

My question is this... After perusing this thread (or at least a dozen of the 150+ pages) I have determined the following fairly well.

- MB.AY702.003 motherboard, so it's a 943 motherboard, shared with the laptop listed on this thread.

- Despite what some websites claim, it will only support a max 2 gigs of memory.

- it has an SATA bus, with corresponding hard drive and dead super-multi drive.

- right now, it has the kneecapped T2060 "Pentium dual core" processor in it, which is causing it to bog down under hard multi-tasking.

- it has the most current (apparently final) v 3.60 bios (incidentally, because the bios is cacheable, any time I run the vista recovery disks, it actually reverts the freaking bios! Makes it a %^&* to boot from a flash or USB-optical drive when the older bios doesn't support "boot by USB" so I stopped using the recovery disks)

So, my question is, in looking at processors and this thread, I see the T7200 Core 2 Duo listed often. Is this the best processor anyone has gotten to work with this motherboard, or has anyone gotten a newer chip to work in this setup :confused:

Responses greatly appreciated. ((I'll be adding a larger hdd or sdd also hopefully, depending on what is left over after buying the other parts))

6. ellalan

ellalan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi eoraptor,
    I have tried T2400,T5600 and T7200 in my 5610z and finally settled for T2600. When I had T7200 my laptop fan made irritating noise to keep it cool as the original cooling system made for dual core processors and not for C2D processors(only a guess), with T2600 I don't see much difference in performance, very quiet and efficient proc.
    Yes, motherboard in 5610 models can accept up to 4GB but 5610z models can only go up to 2GB memory.

7. krazyphire

krazyphire Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Well done mate! Glad to see people are still giving help in this guide. :D

8. ellalan

ellalan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks krazyphire, all credit goes to your original hard work which inspired many to improve the performance of our laptops without spending a lot of money.

9. jthb

jthb Newbie

Reputations:
    I havent read the whole thread (Don't have time) but I've got an Acer 2480-2968 (Europe) laptop with a celeron M 440 @ 1,86ghz. Battery life is pretty aweful (1,5 hour).

I opened the memory cover and it said "31ZR1MB00X" on the sticker. I googled that and found that this is the same motherboard as in the Acer 3680.

I found the link last night that said it had the 943 chipset but I cannot find it again, can anyone help me?

I'd love to replace this crappy CPU if possible!

10. ellalan

ellalan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    When you opened the memory cover you should have seen another number similar to these (picture). That will identify your chipset.

EDIT:
    If it's beginning with MB.AZL06.....you have 943 chipset.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.