Upgrade to vBulletin 4.2 Discussion

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions, Announcements and Guidelines' started by Cleonard, Jul 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I can't read anything now, it's very hard...

Hard to figure out where new posts are. Hard to read the replies. Hard almost everything.
    For instance, the poster is now on top of the page, instead of being to the left.
    Given that modern laptops and LCDs are 16:9 ... it's imperative that the layout is made to take advantage of larger width and minimise the usage of height.
    It does look cool, from a stylistic point of view. But the usability has just taken a massive plunge.

2. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    Oh no I didn't think this would ever happen... Some of my older posts are gone and I cannot enter some of the members profiles

For the love of god... this layout, oh well

3. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I love how they said not to worry about the site look...that it was temporary...and everyone just ignores it. :lol:

Hopefully the upgrade will make Tapatalk perform better. There was very wonky behavior of it on the old site, like threads not loading any content.

4. Greg

Greg Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Can you provide a specific example, Tinderbox? Same with anyone mentioning bugs -- the more information you can give us to repeat said bugs the more likely we can fix the issue. As for the style issues those will be resolved in time.

5. MrDJ

MrDJ Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    i know what its like to upgrade forums. ive done 2 to v 4.2 but it didnt last long as i reverted back :D

think i will take a holiday while you do all the tweaks as its like being back on dial up 512 connection.
    must admit im already missing the default forum skin which wipes out all adverts. only found that after the avast warning a month back.
    good luck with the upgrade and hurry back :)

ps:
    trying to edit post just brings up white screen and then freezes on first attempt.
    repetition missing when looking through forum but when editing post the rep button is there.
    editing text in quick reply box is sooooo anoying as it keeps jumping to the top of the post as soon as you stop typing.(just seen a little yellow box appear with auto save so this could be why the edit box keeps jumping to top)

6. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    A bug, on the forum page when the thread lists as an attachment in IE9 the thread slightly shifts right and down then at the end there is no stop it just goes off the end. Also that paper clip icon for attachments just leads you to a smilie page.

Edit; does this for me in chrome as well.............

Attached Files:

• Bug.jpg
      Bug.jpg
      File size:
      353.9 KB
      Views:
  7. andy A

andy A Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is there anyway to get rid of the ad just above where the threads starts. Takes up allot of space.

8. dikkiedirk

dikkiedirk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    +1

The "old" lay-out of yesterday worked better for me.

I'm on a laptop with 1366x768 screen and have to do a lot of left to right "scrolling" now. Hope this will be fixed soon.

Where is the reply button and quick-reply?

I'm lost here.

9. andy789

andy789 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    vBulltin 4.2 has tons of templates, but the currently selected one looks really terrible - difficult to read, wrong distracting colors, too big icons (I mean the envelopes of thread titles). Seriously, the forum is getting difficult to use - instead of focusing on the content, I have to focus on finding the content.

10. 6730b

6730b Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, not friendly to the eyes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.