Upgrade to Lenovo X1 Carbon?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Notebooker, Jan 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Notebooker

Notebooker Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I hope this is the appropriate thread in which to ask this question.

I have the Thinkpad X220 with 8GB RAM, IPS screen, i5-2520M CPU, and a 256GB SSD (Crucial). It is 4 or 5 years old now. It is in perfect condition, but I would like a bigger screen than the 12.5" and also something faster. I really appreciate the screen quality and the keyboard on the Lenovo.

I am wondering if the 2015 X1 Carbon with the i5/5300 processor,256GB SSD, 8GB RAM, and non-touch WQHD screen would provide significant speed increases.

Thanks for any constructive information and advice!

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    You're comparing a higher clocked, 35w CPU to a 15w TDP unit. So, the answer is generally no. The 5300 uses faster memory so memory bound tasks might benefit from a bump in speed and the U series Haswell CPU is nearly 60% more efficient than the M series in the X220, but for raw power, your X220 is still king. The Haswell has far superior graphics and will have no real issues driving that WQHD display.

You might hold off a bit and take a look at the new Thinkpad 13 being introduced this week at CES. Looks great for the $449 starting price Lenovo has put on it. We'll have to see how the reviews look.

3. Notebooker

Reputations:
    Somebody else mentioned the Thinkpad T450s. It is a 1/2 pound heaver than the X1 Carbon, but has a better IPS screen. I was looking at the i7-5600U and bring it up to 12GB RAM. Any thoughts on that?

4. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I don't know what you're doing with your notebook, but unless you're running the CPU at or near capacity most of time, the i7 is overrated. There are some applications that will tax the CPU, but the same for going above 8GB of memory unless you're running VMs or similar.

5. Notebooker

Reputations:
    The most challenging use is probably photo processing with large DNG images (about 33MB) and TIFF files (about 144MB) using Lightroom or other programs. Otherwise, most of my use is writing, internet, e-mail, and entertainment (music, video) but not gaming or video processing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.