1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Upgrade processor

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by moutardepoulet, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moutardepoulet

moutardepoulet Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, I just baught a compaq cQ62, with a single core amd v-120 at 2.2ghz. Is it possible to upgrade to a dual core or possibly a quad?? thx

2. nikeseven

nikeseven Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    In order to do so, you would need to match the socket (S1g4) and also be reasonably close to the TDP of the V120 (25watts). After finding one, you would then need to take apart your entire laptop, put it in, reapply thermal paste and put it all back together.

3. ClanHeck

ClanHeck Newbie

Reputations:
    From lowest performance to higher (but all better performers than the V120)

Turion II Neo K665 dual core at 15W...
    P320 dual core at 25 W
    Turion II P520 dual core 25W
    N330 and Phenom II N620 dual core at 35W might be too much
    The Phenom II P820 is triple core at 25 W
    The Phenom II 920 is quad core at 25 W

All processors are supported by the S1g4 socket. This may not be a complete list. Now, I've never replaced a laptop's CPU, so that part of upgrading is all on you.

4. moutardepoulet

moutardepoulet Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok, thx i may be taking the p320 or phenom II 920. Thaught that changing cpu was a lot simpler. What thermal paste is compatible with the amd v-120?

5. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Thermal paste is not made for any specific processor. I use Arctic Silver 5 for processors; IC Diamond is another popular choice.

If you haven't applied thermal paste before, there is an application guide on Arctic Silver's website:
    http://www.arcticsilver.com/
    It is important to apply it the right way.

6. moutardepoulet

moutardepoulet Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok thx, this really helped me out. :)

7. ClanHeck

ClanHeck Newbie

Reputations:
    I think the toughest challenge will be physically getting to the CPU. I don't know much about laptop upgrades and getting into the guts of one. I would suggest googling opening up your particular laptop model. U-Tube might have some useful videos of someone else doing it...

8. 1shado1

1shado1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Damn! Where were you when I asked about upgrading mine (still haven't), lol??:D

9. mc00

mc00 Notebook Guru

Reputations:

I have been eying this cpu on EBAY but has been posted yet... any where else those cpu being sold?

10. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    the cost of the cpu is more than a whole laptop with a better cpu already in it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.