Upgrade Old Dell XPS 15 9550 vs Buying New Dell XPS Laptop?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Drew1, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Okay so last year I decided to just upgrade the parts of my old dell xps 15 9550 laptop as oppose to buying a new laptop

I had upgraded the

56wh battery to 84wh battery

250gb ssd to 1tb m.2 ssd

8gb ram to 32gb ram

I had noticed it was a little bit faster and definitely liked having much more space in my ssd. I had also cloned my old 250gb ssd into this 1tb m.2 ssd... and thus i still have like 700gb available at the moment.

But with the new battery, ram and ssd... i spent I believe around a total of $450 or so roughly I believe. I also installed all 3 parts myself so I didn't had to pay for repairs.

The thing is earlier today, I had powered on my laptop and it did not turn on. Tried it few times and had same issue. Then it powered on for a bit, then powered off. Then a bit later, it finally powered on. I then entered my bitlocker pin and windows 10 password and thus was able to get into my windows 10 pro computer.

My concern now though is because my laptop is pretty old... should I get a new one? I got this almost 5 years ago and been using it ever since. The thing though is it isn't that well kept as the keyboard and lot of it is very dirty/dusty and even sticky. I had no idea how that stickyness happened as I always have my laptop on the desk and have it connected to 2 external monitors. I'm concerned about the power button as right now I don't even want to power off my laptop before I go to bed because I'm concerned it won't power on the next day etc. Main issue is because I'm outside the US now and won't be able to buy a new laptop here.

When I check dell site, I see they have the dell xps 15 and there seem to be 2 of them? One is the new XPS? The thing is I do not want no 4k screen etc as I want long battery even though its plugged in almost always. Also it seem to be very expensive if you get the highest processor. But is that even necessary? I see if you get the regular video card, its default price but if you get the upgraded one... thats $1000+ more? Its like if you upgrade it to the max its like $2800. That is ridiculous.

But if you get the not New XPS.... is that one still good? Thing is would you get the 86wh battery as oppose to that 56wh battery?

Again my dell xps 15 9550 is very dusty/sticky etc. But if i go to a computer repair shop here... could they clean it pretty well... without causing any damage to my laptop? I did go to a computer repair shop where im at last time when I had a bloated battery and they took it out without an issue etc. But I still need to use the laptop for a bit before I go back to the US.

Any advice on this? Obviously if my laptop didn't had this power issue today, I probably wouldn't be that concerned.

Again the processor is i5-6300hq so its an older processor but I know its still quad core since that is what i made it was before i bought it. So all this i5 processor laptops now are much faster than the i have then?

2. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    All you really need is a can of air to blow out the gremlins and some rubbing alcohol / q-tips to cleans the keys.

Obviously you want to unplug / remove the battery before doing any of this with the alcohol.

The power button may just be "dirty" as well and need a cleaning as well. Crack open the case the best you can to get to it and inspect / clean it.

3. mujtaba

mujtaba ZzzZzz Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You know guys. I started by trying to clean-up your insults, then I realized one of the people here had necro'ed a 1 year old post to start an argument over planned obsolescence. Let's be honest people, there is little reason to get heated when discussing the sales of billion dollar companies in a market that IMHO is increasingly user-hostile. The OP is asking people for help and you're fighting. Take your arguments elsewhere and respectfully so.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. mujtaba

mujtaba ZzzZzz Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The question is, whether you managed to get the power button and keyboard issues sorted out. Newer Core i5 machines most certainly have a much better performance. Even the new i3s have a comparable performance with your laptop. See this comparison with the Gen-11 : https://www.notebookcheck.net/i5-1135G7-vs-i3-1115G4-vs-6300HQ_12238_12242_6971.247596.0.html

Assuming you can address the physical machine issues, is the performance sufficient? Two years ago, I used a fairly old Latitude 3330 with a second gen Core i3 CPU for over a year (but with 12GB of RAM and SSD) and it was sufficient for my purposes.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  5. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Okay well the thing is I don't want to risk damaging my laptop though when doing this with alcohol. I had a huge issue installing the battery in last time when I had to put in the new battery. So this should never be done with the battery inside the laptop?

Do you know how much it would cost to go to a computer repair shop and have them do this for you? And how long the process would take?

6. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I took a look at dell's site. There seem to be the dell xps and the new dell xps.. What model number is the current dell xps 15?

The thing is I was looking at the customizing and it seem like when you go from their standard processor to the next level.... its hundreds of dollars more. Is that even worth it?

Also the thing that stuck out to me was many of the machines are either 8gb ram or 16gb ram. When you go from 8gb to 16gb to 32gb ram... it literally cost hundreds dollars more. Is that the same cost if you just get the standard 8gb ram and then buy the 32gb ram and install it yourself? Also if you want 1tb ssd... its hundreds of dollars more if you go from 250gb or 512gb to 1tb.

So if I were to buy a new laptop and thus the dell xps 15... i do not want the new dell xps 15.... would it make sense for me to buy it at the lowest possible cost... such as 8gb ram, 250gb ssd... then just buy 32gb ram myself and 1tb ssd and install it in myself? But the thing is I already bought 32gb ram last year and a 1tb nvme samsung ssd... and put both of these in my old dell xps 15 9550 laptop. Obviously my 1tb nvme samsung ssd would be compatible with the new laptop.... but would this 32gb ram be not compatible? Also I remember people mention the ssd that dell puts in your xps... its generally the cheaper kind and not like a samsung ssd?

Another important thing is I have 2 dell pw7015L powerbanks that i bought for this old xps 15 9550 laptop. I would obviously want to use it for a new dell laptop if i choose to buy it. But I read the new dell xps 15 laptop... this would not be compatible since it uses usb-c only? So in order to use 2 of my powerbanks... I need to buy the dell xps 15 laptop on the site and not the new dell xps 15 right?

Again, I don't really want to buy a new laptop but sometimes the issue with the power button and things like that has me concerned. Again my current xps 15 9550 is like 5 years old and very dusty. Not only that... its really sticky in certain areas.

7. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    CPU + GPU are the priority because you can't typically upgrade them post purchase.

Buy with the lowest specs on everything else and DIY upgrade with better components.

Upgrading when ordering is a waste of money 99% of the tune like buying extended warranties.

As to the RAM you have some clues to look for whether your existing machine is using DDR3 or DDR4 and the new one using DDR4 or DDR5. Read the description and look in your laptop using HWINFO or something similar.

8. Seanwhat

Seanwhat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What are you concerned about? If your laptop works and it does what you need it to do then it's fine. What would you do with a new laptop? The exact same stuff? Do you need a new one to do anything your current laptop can't do?

I have the same laptop as you btw :)

9. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My concern is if my laptop does not turn on. Few times when i click on power button it didn't turn on after a few tries. But then later it did. Thing is there is lot of dust and its sticky in many areas of my laptop once you open it up etc.

Yes I would do the exact same stuff. But would the processor now be much faster than my i5-6300hq?

Also does anyone know what is the exact model that dell xps 15 sells now? I see there is 2 types... dell xps 15 and the new dell xps 15. Im pretty certain the new one doesn't support my powerbank and uses usb-c right?

10. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    Configure the one you want and put it in the cart and you'll have the model info you need.

upload_2021-10-14_23-15-29.png