Upgrade MSI GT73 SLI

Discussion in 'MSI' started by tataddd, Nov 24, 2021.

1. tataddd

tataddd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi !

I have a MSI GT73VR with an 1070m I would like to upgrade to 1080 or add a seconds 1070m

I don't know why there is no tutorial, i did upgrade on my GT70 and GT72

Thank !!

2. nightingale

nightingale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It should be quite simple as the GPU's are socketed in, but you will need a new heatsink for the 1080 and you will also need a new heatsink for both 1070's if you upgrade to them. I dont think these upgrade parts are easily available unfortunately, would be cheaper to sell the laptop and use the money to buy a better more modern laptop in my experience

3. tataddd

Reputations:
    Do you think there will be no issue with the both 1070?

Buy a new laptop cost me a lot

4. nightingale

Reputations:
    I dont know if you would be able to find a second 1070, plus you need a whole new heatsink as the singular 1070heatsink is different to the SLI heat sink. The overall cost involved will be quite a lot as the upgrade kits are rare i believe.

But if you did manage to install it and hook it all up properly, there should be no issues as the system will use the same drivers as before and it should identify the card without issue

The bigger problem is that SLI in general is quite janky and will introduce a lot of stuttering into games. The average fps may increase drastically, but i dont think the 1% lows will change, if anything it will get worse and you will have an overall worse gaming experience than if you just opted for an upgrade of a singular 1080

i believe the singular 1080 upgrade uses the same heatsink as the 1070 one, and it is just plug and play and it will be fine

5. tataddd

Reputations:
    Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

What do you mean with "1% lows"?
    I want the 1080 but i need the power cable too and there is no way to finde it...

6. nightingale

Reputations:
    The 330w charger for the 1080 upgrade is far easier to find than the heat sink assembly for 1070sli, have you found the parts required to do the 1070sli upgrade? the 1070 sli needs two power bricks plus the two charger to one plug adapter as well since you cant plug two chargers into the laptop's single port

1% lows is the minimum framerate and fps that the game will experience while playing, this contributes to stutter and the overall "not smooth" gaming experience, even if you have 100+fps but have an occasional dip in frametime/fps to say 40fps you will instantly feel the game stutter and chug along which makes games very unpleasant to play. SLI increases frametimes as it needs more overhead to run the two graphics cards together

There is a reason why sli is basically a dead technology for gaming now

7. tataddd

Reputations:
    Ah ok i understand now thz 1% about thz power i speak about the cable on the card, i saw on YouTube the gtx 1080m does have an internal cable to the Mainboard, like 5cm lang. I seach on ebay and google but didn't find.

8. NeXt3R

NeXt3R Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  9. NeXt3R

Reputations:
    my recommended is for most game HALF/sync "60FPS"
    or some games + G-sync 120HZ

10. NeXt3R

Reputations:
    and gtx1080 upgrade - heat sink / PSU 330w / gpu must have small power cable o_O
    and SLI ? to many money .,.,better buy RTX 3000 series + any new notebook