Upgrade GPU and heatsinks on overheating p170sm

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by luckyluca, Sep 5, 2020.

1. luckyluca

luckyluca Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    for as much as I would love to just accept it,

can you elaborate both points please, as these temps based on experience on the same laptop and other posts look higher.
    Also kombustion is widely used on laptops, including old ones.

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Power viruses in thermally constrained environments are not recommended. Long term advice on this forum. Tests like battlefield V will give a better idea.

In terms of temps things are going to vary chip to chip. I'm talking personal experience from my experience over the years including tweaking the EM series for some world records back in the day.

3. luckyluca

luckyluca Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I noticed when flipping the notebook over and with the cover off, applying a bit of pressure on screws 1 and 3 of the gpu heatsink reduces the temp by 10c without cover from 82 to 72. I bought m3x7 washers i'll try the mod as seen on the other ancient post on this forum.
    Also applying a bit of pressure to the heatsink fins reduces temperature too.
    Leaving the cover off and turning the laptop the right side up, I can see an increase in temps.
    Cpu heatsink I'll return this heavy used and stained v102 and bought a brand new v101 (it is actually new but older with a manufacturing date from 2011) for half the price.

Keep you posted

overall it's going in the right direction.

other games to try? something I could relate to temps on this forum?

Also kombustion seems reliable based on posts, surprised by the hate, but then perhaps I didn't see the relevant posts.

Thanks

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Opening the cover and flipping over will always reduce temps by a fair bit basically no matter the machine.