Upgrade 1600x900 for 1920x1080 3D

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Bartows, Sep 1, 2015.

?

1600x900 for 1920x1080 3D

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bartows

Bartows Newbie

Reputations:
    What I need to know is : All parts bought will work on my m17x r4 ? All are compatible ? I do not care 3d effect , I only use the full hd ! All I bought dara right to use the full hd ?

2. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Yes (fourth time).

Rengsey R. H. Jr. likes this.
  3. TEG2

TEG2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I upgraded my M17x r4 (from 720p to 1080p 3D 120hz LGD02C5) and kept the NVidia GTX 660M that was already in the r4. The screen works great in 1080p 120hz but the 3D never enables even though I have all the drivers installed. I get the same NVStWiz: "This laptop's panel is not qualified for 3D Vision". I set up the monitor in device manager with an r3 EDID file but still no luck. t456's posting gives me hope that maybe I can get 3D to activate with the spoofed EDID file mentioned below? But the link is no longer valid. Can someone repost this LGD02C5 with SEC5044 header file for me to try? Thanks.

4. TEG2

TEG2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I searched SEC5044 INF in Google and it found this file:
    forum.notebookreview.com/attachments/sec5044-ltn173ht02p01-inf-txt.127345

I used device manager -> ugdate monitor driver -> have disk and forced installed that one. But still it says my panel is not 3D.
    In device manager I have only the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M listed ( latest NVIDIA driver 21.21.13.7254 8/11/2016 ), and for Monitor I have only "Samsung SEC5044 (SEC5044 EDID Override)" listed. [ Even though it is actually an LGD02C5 panel ]

NVIDIA Control Panel (System Information) for Display shows:
    GeForce GTX 660M
    Driver Version: 372.54
    Video BIOS version: 80.07.57.00.02

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  5. t456

Reputations:
    Re-uploaded and linked the files in the earlier post.

Not sure if header-only is sufficient. The edid is only 128 or 256 bytes, so it's perfectly possible it needs to match 100% (since it's a small feat to whitelist the thing completely). If so then it'd require flashing the complete SEC5044 edid. This is perfectly safe since all the important specifications are more-or-less identical between the two panels. Might yield a slightly different gamut, but that can be compensated for with the graphics driver.

Flashing is very different from using an inf or registry override; chances are the bios (or vbios) looks at the data as stored in the lcd itself, not whatever the OS reports the display to be. So try the inf first and flashing the edid second. If that is beyond your comfort zone then it's also possible to reverse the process; mod bios or vbios to whitelist the LGD02C5 edid. But, of course, that means flashing a modified bios or vbios.

Hmm ... or the lcd-check could simply be done within the driver itself. Do a 'hex search in files' for all the extracted driver files for '00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00' and the same for the unpacked bios and vbios and we'll know for certain where that 'This panel is not qualified ...' gets its data from.

6. TEG2

TEG2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for trying to help. I downloaded the files. None of the INF files solved my problem.
    I am not sure what software to use on Windows 7 to write the BIN files to my screen...

I installed Powerstrip software...
    When I do "Read data directly from monitor" I get "DDC communication with the monitor failed or is not supported. Reverting to EDID data provided provided by Windows and the display driver, if available."

7. TEG2

TEG2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Also, I am not totally sure what you suggested for the hex search...
    I did a hex search of \x00FFFFFFFFFFFF00
    in all files in c:\windows\system32, c:\window\syswow64, & c:\program files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\ but it didn't find that pattern in anything (I guess that is EDID header?)

Do I need to read the vBIOS out of my VGA card and scan that?

I guess I can download the system BIOS from Dell's support site if that is helpful.

8. TEG2

TEG2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  9. t456

Reputations:
    Yes, that's usually the result with most laptop lcds. You can flash it with certain linux tools. However, before you do the actual flash, run 'sudo i2cdump -r 0-255 6 0x50'. replacing 6 and 0x50 with the values applicable to your system. Reason is that the SEC5044 edid is 256 bytes and the LGD02C5 only 128 bytes, hence there's a risk writing the SEC5044 will overwrite other data stored beyond the LG's 128 byte edid.
    Yes, exactly.
    Both would be useful, but already happen to have a decompressed bios. Didn't search that yet, though.
    Yes, well ... doesn't actually matter where the display check is taking place; if you succeed in flashing the SEC5044 edid then, for all intents and purposes, the LG is a Samsung.

There is once caveat, however; an identical screen can have different edids. That's why some supposedly g-sync approved panels didn't have g-sync; their edid didn't match the one whitelisted in the vbios (or bios). Don't know whether this specific SEC5044 will work since we haven't yet found the edid check in bios or vbios. Easier is to ask some M17x R4 owner with working 3D to dump their SEC5044 edid (eg, with MonInfo, the edid being the 'Raw data' part).

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  10. TEG2

TEG2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks again for taking the time to respond. I gather a number of smart people already tried to solve this problem, and gave up already. When I put my r3 3D LG screen on my r4 chassis, I just assumed it would work, and didn't know (util now) that others had already posted doing similar and finding that the 3D wouldn't enable.

If I was able to get a proper Samsung EDID bin from a legit r4 "gen 2" Samsung panel, how would I flash that onto my LG "gen 1" panel? I thought maybe Powerstrip would work, but it doesn't seem able to even read the EDID from my current panel.
    Would I have to physically connect the screen to a different machine (perhaps even a linux box) to be able to reflash the EDID?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.