Updating rules for selling in the Marketplace?

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions, Announcements and Guidelines' started by saturnotaku, Jan 7, 2021.

1. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It looks like a user was scammed during the purchase of a Clevo DTR notebook. There were some red flags in the listing that I think a couple rules updates could help address.

1) Timestamps/proof of ownership: All items for sale, regardless of value, should include images that contain hand-written timestamps with the user's forum ID clearly visible. No pictures of the name on a laptop display.

2) Payments: Only in-person cash or PayPal Goods and Services should be accepted. There is no buyer or seller protection for any other form of digital payment.

Anyone found violating these rules should have their threads deleted and their selling privileges suspended in the case of breaking #1 and permanently revoked in the case of #2.

2. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    We already have a rule about paypal payments:
    16) Paypal transactions must be paid as sale of merchandise and goods and not 'gift' payments. You forfeit transaction protection if you use gift payments.

I'm asking for @Charles P. Jefferies to help look into this particular case as well.

saturnotaku and Dannemand like this.
  3. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I think the rule should be expanded to every other form of payment (Venmo, CashApp, etc). PayPal G&S, in-person cash, or nothing.

4. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    NBR isn't responsible for any sales on the forums, we can't talk about every form of payment. Users need to use their common sense when buying online, we simply have a place to post to help users buy/sell things. Ultimately it's on them.

5. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I am open to adding the date requirement to photos. If there are any objections to this, please let me know.

For the PayPal rule, I'm open to expanding it to include other services; if a goods/services payment is available for a given service, you cannot require/ask that the payment be made as a gift. As @custom90gt mentioned, there are too many services to list. Thoughts?

Edit: These changes are made as of Jan 11, 2021.
    ** Marketplace Rules and Regulations ** (MUST READ BEFORE POSTING!) | NotebookReview

Charles

kojack and saturnotaku like this.