updating Dell version of Samsung pm830 firmware

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by doa1530, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaeyang9

jaeyang9 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    but what does dell have to do with updating firmware on samsung drives?

the ssd is a component manufactured by a different company. you need to be talking to samsung.

samsung cannot say they don't provide support for their ssd because it was sold in a dell system. what if you plugged it into a non-dell system and are still having same problem? doesn't change that it's still a samsung ssd that requires a samsung firmware update.

whoever at samsung that told you they don't provide support for components sold by dell is giving you the brush off. it is still a samsung product regardless of what system it is in, be it dell or whatnot.

2. max-bit

max-bit Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    OK to try to update the Samsung drive in DELL?
    Software Samsung shows OFF
    And beautifully said that there is no samsung drive Support refers to the DELL A DELL for Samsung? Someone's making me crazy?
    Sorry Or samsung drives provides updates DELL Or DELL releases update And no one refers to the second

ok jaeyang
    Only one question You have a Samsung 512GB SSD?
    Yes? (? PM830 series ?)
    What is your software version in it (the drive comes from Samsung, and our original installed when you buy a DELL)
    Please answer my ques ....

3. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    FWIW, I spoke to Samsung a while back about firmware on my OEM PM830's - again it was to see if I could update to the latest firmware revision. I was told that the retail firmware (or Samsung Magician) would not work on a Dell drive. Didnt really bother me that much as the drives are working really well on their current firmware which is CXM02D1Q.

I would however like to be "up to date" also but as for who's responsibility it is to provide a revision, I imagine Dell would have to get Samsung to pull their fingers out so that we too could update....they did it for the PM800 a while back so I cant see why we cant get the same latest revision for the PM830's - might just take some "shouting" at Dell LOL

4. max-bit

Reputations:
    Unfortunately,
    the current firmware CXM02D1Q problem and it is important.
    Bug in the software affects the speed drive.
    You can see this example: Dell OEM Samsung PM830 vs Retail 830 SSD - Joseph Jozwik
    Dell knows about this problem, but it saves cash, in this room to get a new firmware Samsung

5. max-bit

Reputations:
    Of course, the problem affects all disks for DELL OEM Samsung 830 Series I know from the preceding series of Samsung for Dell also were problems. How to pay thousands of dollars for the best computers, take up should be better support, and better than retial.

6. jaeyang9

jaeyang9 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    yes but I didn't buy it through dell.. :D

7. max-bit

Reputations:
    So what is involved? In the topic. He ... ? He does not know it does not provide

Buda :)

8. BlakeRoss

BlakeRoss Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You are mistaken, because that's exactly what Samsung is doing. They intentionally locked the firmware on their OEM SSDs so that only vendors, such as dell, could release updates.

NVIDIA is doing the same thing. On the new Samsung 7 IVY which ships with a 640 GPU for example, the latest drivers on the NVDIA website will not work. They specifically tell you that you must go through your laptop manufacturer to get THEIR drivers.

It's messed up and it sucks for the consumer who wants to keep up to date and not have to rely on a middleman who has other priorities

9. max-bit

Reputations:
    It's not about some locks.
    Samsung sells dell disks in the amount of, say, 10000.
    And their further fate are just not interested. It is convenient for Samsung.
    But in the case of updating the firmware a little strange. Perhaps the point is that the user will have no regret for samsung how badly programmed HDD.
    And so it seeks help from dell, and dell does not care.
    Of course, probably the second thing is that Dell has to pay Samsung for preparing for these updates. If the partition functions as it should be no problem. Here is the problem.
    So Dell has members in the a.s.s, Samsung as well.

10. BlakeRoss

BlakeRoss Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It is about locks. The pm830 is physically the same as the 830 retail, except that it's sold in volume to wholesalers at a big discount. Samsung doesn't want retail sales to be lost to wholesale channels and lose the additional profit. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to use Magician or other software to load updated Samsung firmware onto it or run diagnostics. They're trying to protect the value of paying full retail for the same product that could be had for much less

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.