updating Dell version of Samsung pm830 firmware

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by doa1530, Jan 11, 2012.

1. burtal

burtal Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    any step by step on how to use that app ?

what file do we upload ? and where we put it back

Works from CXM03D1Q?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  2. tijgert

tijgert Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just upgraded my PM830 512GB CXM03D1Q version to the CXM03D1T version.
    Worked flawlessly. I haven't benched before or after as I did it to hopefully never see that Watchdog BSOD again.
    Just reporting it works just fine for the above mentioned SSD. Carry on :)

3. Relik

Relik Newbie

Reputations:
    Is there anyone that has a copy of the CXM03D1T firmware still available? I desperately would like to try it as I have a CXM03D1Q drive that became incredibly slow. Now what's strange about it is I also had another D1Q drive that did the same thing, but I was able to get it back to full speed. This one just won't come back.

Symptoms: Very slow access time - 9 ms avg, compared to usual 0.1 when it is working properly through SSD-Z. This results in 1 MB/s random reads and writes (4K), but I can still get 100-150 MB/s sequential speed. Due to the slow random speed, the drive is nearly useless.

I believe I have the exact problem that D1Q was released to fix, but Dell only released it to people reporting the problem during the warranty period. It was shared here, but multiupload.nl has been dead for a year.

Please if anyone has CXM03D1T available, upload it to mega, share on google drive, etc and then post the link.

4. mchris

mchris Newbie

Reputations:
    I found this link somewhere in this thread and it still works.
    However I was unable to flash my PM830. The process starts but results in an error. Tried three times.
    Hope you have better luck!
    https://doc-10-60-docs.googleuserco...9599577163758099/0B4HvIGs5gZaTdkkxallnVWgtVHM

5. Relik

Relik Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm getting access denied on that link. Tried another browser and it had me sign in using Google credentials and says
    HTTP 403 error
    Microsoft Edge can’t get to this page

Can you upload the file you downloaded anywhere else for me?

6. mchris

mchris Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok, I'll try with Dropbox:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ps634rwnyoxd5g/CXM03D1T_ZPE.EXE?dl=0

Relik likes this.
  7. Relik

Relik Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you so much for the firmware. It did install but the bad news for me is it didn't fix the slowdown bug that is present on my SSD. It still has a 9.2 millisecond average response time compared to 0.133 ms on an identical working Samsung drive.

I will tell you this regarding the fact that you said your upgrade results in an error. The upgrade file of yours ONLY upgrades the drive if it is currently running firmware CXM03D1Q (You can decode DSRD.enc file to see this). Any other current firmware and it will fail. So if you are running some other firmware you will need to upgrade to CXM03D1Q first. I can't even find that firmware posted anywhere and both of my drives were already running 03D1Q when I got them used.

Successful upgrade:
    [​IMG]

Powered off and booted Windows. SSD-Z still shows EXTREMELY slow random access and transfer times.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look at the IOPS for the first 3 results. See the average response time going down greatly? And with enough queue depth, the drive responds almost as fast as a normal one.

That is how I know it's some kind of SSD bug because the SSD's CPU is locked up in some kind of idle loop. If you throw enough requests at it, it stops doing whatever background task is seizing it up and devotes itself to responding to SATA requests. It acts almost normal for that brief length of time.

For reference, here is an identical PM830 in another computer of mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IOPS of 11,078 for random read with queue depth of 1. That's 100 times faster than the screwed up drive.

Now the strangest thing is that the "working" drive did the same thing a while back, slowed to 9 ms access time, but then it went back to normal after I attempted to flash a hacked firmware (03B1Q) and it failed . It has been normal ever since. The failed drive has been slow for 2 months now and no matter what I have done it remains slow.