updating Dell version of Samsung pm830 firmware

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by doa1530, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Le Pimpage

Le Pimpage Newbie

Reputations:
    After reading the 15 pages and a108239's post on this one, I'm inclined to believe that he's correct, is there anyone else who did some research into this matter?

I don't have a SATA3 motherboard to be able to do some benchmarks on these drives but I do have pretty much all the drives that have been discussed in this thread, with all available firmwares:

CXM02D1Q in a 128GB drive which I've updated to CXM03D1T - with the first firmware HDDSentinel was reporting that there's no TRIM support or it's deactivated, with the second one everything works pretty much great;
    CXM02D1Q in a 256GB drive which I plan to update to either CXM03D1T or to CXM03B1Q using the "hacked" DSRD.enc - I'm still wondering about the benefits of this (the increased 4K writes) and if I'll be able to actually notice them in a SATA2 machine;
    CXM74D1Q in a 256GB drive which I plan to update to CXM76D1Q as that seems to be the latest available firmware for that model.

I believe this is a really interesting thread and with more work from the skilled users we'd be able to convert our drives into full-fredged retail drives. Perhaps we could set up a donation account to speed up the development in this? :)

2. jedisurfer1

jedisurfer1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's slow coming it out hibernation or is lacking trim for some drives?

HP I think has a wonderful utility to make your usb drive bootable. I forget what it's called.

3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Strangely enough, the HP USB Key Utility is called exactly what it does... you have to provide your own DOS files.

I prefer using UNetbootin and it comes with FreeDOS for making a bootable USB stick. UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads

I use UNetbootin with its integrated FreeDOS support for DOS-bootable GPU firmware flashing.

4. katalin_2003

katalin_2003 NBR Spectre Super Moderator

Reputations:
  5. WiZARD7

WiZARD7 Newbie

Reputations:
    It was not only a few days, but I can be sure, that it solved my problem :)

6. jedisurfer1

jedisurfer1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  7. Leos

Leos Newbie

Reputations:
    I recently purchased a used PM830 FDE 2.5" 7mm 256GB (MZ-7PC256D) for 57$. It happened to be a OEM part with F/W CXM74D1Q (presumably DELL from Mid 2012). So my F/W is totally different from the version being discussed here and also failed to patch with CXM03B1Q even after multiple attempts. Finally came across F/W CXM76D1Q from Dell itself.
    Applied the patch and it worked fine for me. NO Data Wipe and all data and Win7 was intact.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    @steviejones133 @phrike

Mr. Fox likes this.
  8. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Still sucks donkey dong that we can't use Magician on the PM830 because it is "OEM branded". Added to a list of reasons why I will never buy a samsung drive. I have an HP branded M600 256GB drive that works FINE with crucial's software.

9. Leos

Leos Newbie

Reputations:
    My OEM drive (PM 830) is a FDE/SED self encrypting drive which is why the firmware is different from retail ones.
    I modified the DSRD.enc to accept my F/W (CXM74D1Q →CXM76D1Q) during upgrade to retail CXM03B1Q but fails during the F/W download to device.
    Also I noticed that the firmware file CXM03B1Q is 512 kB in size while the custom Dell F/W for SED is 656 kB.
    [​IMG]
    Error downloading the MAIN Firmware ! : CXM03B1Q.bin

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  10. Leos

Leos Newbie

Reputations:
    Relik and Mr. Fox like this.