Updating BIOS?

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Hkcuong, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hkcuong

Hkcuong Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am using a BIOS version since 02/02/2007 (of Phoenix). Before installing a Core 2 Duo CPU, do I have to update BIOS? Thanks all.
    PS: I have a notebook with a Core Duo 1.73 Ghz, chipset 945gm (heard from other member that it has Napa Platform).

2. AndrejaKo

AndrejaKo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, for start it would have helped if you told us the exact model number of your laptop. Without it, it would be difficult to tell.

It would also help us a lot if you gave us the model numbers of the processor you have right now and the one you are planning to install.

Download the latest BIOS from the Internet, and check its change-log. It should mention somewhere list of supported processors. If the processor which you are planning to install is on the list, then do upgrade your BIOS. I think that you should update your BOIS anyway, but keep in mind that this is only my own opinion and I would like to point you to this saying: "For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert."

3. TehSuigi

TehSuigi Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yes, a good start would be the model number.
    As long as you got a Socket M Core 2 Duo (NOT a Socket P), it will be compatible with your chipset. Since the Core 2 Duo was released in mid-2006, it's possible that your BIOS could already support it.
    Updating the BIOS is an inherently risky task - do it wrong, or lose power, and your expensive notebook becomes a useless paperweight. Avoid unless ABSOLUTELY necessary.

4. Hkcuong

Reputations:
    My laptop is an Acer 5572ANWXMi, using a Core Duo CPU (1.73 Ghz, 533Mhz), 945GM chipset, 3945ABG Wifi Standard, an integrated Intel VGA card (GMA 950). Many people said that it is of Napa platform and it can be upgraded to Core 2 Duo CPUs with 667 Mhz FSB (like T7200, T7400 and T7600). Do I have to update BIOS? I am quite confused about the kind of CPU Carrier (Pin or ball) of the CPU which I am using. Can anyone give me some opinions?

5. AndrejaKo

AndrejaKo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does this look like your processor http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27232&processor=T2250&spec-codes=SL9DV?

Download a program called CPU-Z and run it. Give us information it shows.

If I did guess your processor correctly, then it uses pin grid array, so you need pin grid array version of the new processor. Your processor should use PPGA478. To be certain, you should open your laptop and see what kind of processor it has. If it has a socket, then it's probably PPGA478, if it's soldered, then it means that I guessed your processor incorrectly and that it uses ball grid array. It also means that it will be extremely difficult for you to upgrade it (if you had access to needed equipment, you wouldn't be here asking the kind of questions that you are asking).

Another thing to consider is that the processor I think you are using is a 31W processor, and the processors you consider obtaining are 34W processor. That means that you could have problems cooling your laptop, if the upgrade is successful. I personally think that it would not be a big problem, but it would be helpful is someone with more experience could confirm that.

As far as your BIOS is concerned, you have here opinion of more experienced forum member. I couldn't find BIOS for 5572 on the net (I assume it is Acer Aspire, because I couldn't find any closer model number), but in BIOS file for 5570, there isn't a change-log, so I can't tell you if you need the BIOS update.

By the way, here is link for the t7600 http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27257&processor=T7600&spec-codes=SL9SD,SL9SJ.

6. Hkcuong

Reputations:
    Yeah, the notebook is Acer Aspire 5572ANWXMi and the first CPU you showed is the one that I am using. I have used CPU-Z and the only thing I noticed is the Socket line and It is 479mPGA. Do you have any opinion else?

7. TehSuigi

Reputations:
    "Napa Platform" refers to the Centrino generation that your notebook belongs to, and as a result is kind of useless information.
    The key data is that your laptop has a Socket M CPU on the 945 chipset.

Most modern notebooks do have socketed CPUs (with pins), except for low-voltage or Atom CPUs that are soldered to the motherboard (using solder balls).
    Remember - PGA = Pin Grid Array = Socketed = Upgradeable.

8. Hkcuong

Reputations:
    I have read an document about CPU Upgrade and it showed that I am able to upgrade to one of the seven Core 2 Duo CPUs. Among the CPUs listed, there is T7600G which is supposed to be very hard to find. Do you think that Notebook CPUs is disassembled from notebooks (except for Atom and ULV CPUs) to be sold or they are sold as separated part?

9. TehSuigi

Reputations:
    The T7600G is so hard to find because it's a specially modified T7600 made for Dell with an unlocked multiplier for overclocking. Unfortunately, only certain Dell XPS notebooks are capable of taking advantage of the unlocked multiplier.

You'll run into three kinds of CPUs for sale on eBay - ones pulled from working systems, unused OEM CPUs, and unused retail CPUs.

10. Hkcuong

Reputations:
    I have found all the drivers I need on acer.co.uk including BIOS (you will spend a lot of time to find an Acer BIOS if you google it). I have downloaded a BIOS Version of 2008 and I will put my laptop to the test with this BIOS Version before upgrading my laptop CPU. Thanks for all your supports.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.