Upcoming Quadcore "8th" Gen Mobile CPU's

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Silvr6, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Silvr6

Silvr6 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ancient or not why can't I compare the package power draw between the 2 cpus? So i can see the better efficiency of a cpu that is about 3.5 generations newer?

hmscott and tilleroftheearth like this.
  2. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Looking forward to your comparison(s). :D:D:D

Take care.

hmscott likes this.
  3. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Looks like your conclusion is already written, self evident as it is to anyone who knows anything about the effect of cpu design evolution and lithography upon efficiency.

How much it does (or doesn't) beat a 4 year old CPU is where the interest lies. Or whether you have free performance on top of the default settings as you would with a 3840qm running constant 4ghz (whether or not it takes 60W to do that)

Vistar Shook and Vasudev like this.
  4. Silvr6

Reputations:
    My 3840qm is locked so the most I ever get out of it is 3.5ghz at 45W and it doesn't quit hit the max temp of 105c

I can only get 1.5ghz at 15W under full load, from the reading online so far it seems around 2.2ghz is when the new quads sustain under full load while in the 15W power envelope. I'm got an arrival date of Oct 11th so that day can't come soon enough to get some results.

Of interest is the passmark page for the i5 8250

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-8250U+@+1.60GHz

Shows most cpu's benching around 8200 in passmark. For reference my 3840 got 9400 so they really aren't that far off given the power consumption. Yes I know passmark isn't the only benchmark in town but it is a point of reference i can use right now.

5. MT6

MT6 Newbie

Reputations:
  6. Silvr6

Reputations:
    Looks like they are faster in ALL circumstances, despite all the naysayers, so please again tell me what is wrong with these cpu's

7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    They are ULV (Ultra low voltage) CPU's, the one's in tablets and 2in1's and low performance laptops, low performance compared to desktop and even full laptop CPU's.

It's an impressive improvement, but to be fair there was a heck of a lot of room for improvement.

The same improvements haven't been shown for the desktop and laptop CPU's, pretty much just adding on cores and threads, upping TDP a tad, and reducing IPC in some things and improving it in others, pretty much a wash.

The real improvements come with Coffee Lake #2 in 2H18, that's the faster 6 cores and intro of the 8 cores for Intel. Probably not worth waiting for, but 2H18 is what we originally expected from Intel for Coffee Lake.

This Kabylake refresh for desktop / laptop CPU's is just tacking on a couple of cores to try to compete with AMD, and failing to impress.

Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake Z370
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/intel-core-i7-8700k-coffee-lake-z370.809268/

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    Vistar Shook and Vasudev like this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Its just cinebench test and not some gaming test using GTA V or even latest games on Low or medium GFX settings. Just seeing CB scores w/o any sensor info is a little hard to believe and even if the thermals are good, there are BIOS level limits put on CPU when the CPU hits a certain temp. threshold and sustained loads from LinPack or P95 or AIDA64.

Starlight5 and hmscott like this.
  9. tesm1th

tesm1th Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Efficiency comes into play. 45W CPUs would need a beefier cooling.

hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  10. Silvr6

Reputations:
    Just a quick update as i'm just playing around with a few things. Looks like Dell did some awesome power management on the Inspiron I got. It allows the CPU to draw over 43W for a short period of time