Upcoming Quadcore "8th" Gen Mobile CPU's

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Silvr6, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Delgada89

Delgada89 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What's the lead time on the performance oriented CPUs? 6 months?

2. Silvr6

Silvr6 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's not going to generate more heat, the CPU has a TDP design of 15W, meaning the cooling system needs to be able to dissipate that. There is no change from the previous TDP of 15W

Here is another site with some benchmarks showing the i7 8550u faster than the i7 7500u be a healthy margin

http://laptopmedia.com/comparisons/...0u-whats-so-special-about-the-new-generation/

3. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I totally agree that the performance boost over the dual core U is amazing, that is fact. That was not what I was getting at. Of course it benchmarks a lot better than the dual core since it has double the cores and threads, but because of the 15W limit, it will turbo to the higher clocks only for a short period, because it will use up to 28W. So under sustained loads, like when gaming with eGPU, the clocks will likely stabilize at let´s say 2.0 - 2.4GHz, which is very respectable at 15w. Now if some vendors opt to sell ultrabooks with it configured TDPup to 28w, then the higher clocks can be sustained and it will be close to some 45watts HQ we have now under sustained load. Amazing what some competition will do, with ryzen mobile in the horizon, intel stepped up their game rather quickly. Now that the U chips are out, waiting for the 6 core HQ chips.....but mostly waiting for volta...haha...for an upgrade.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    Vasudev likes this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Depends if the OEM's don't crippling their jokebook with firmware due a tragedy of heatsink :rolleyes: <Needs to> is nice words:D

Vasudev and Vistar Shook like this.
  5. Silvr6

Reputations:
    Just ordered a Dell Inspiron 7000 13"
    i7 8550U
    16GB DDR4 2400
    512GB NVME SSD

Should be here 2nd week of october. I'll have full benchmark and review then. Can't wait.

6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Don't use ThrottleStop & XTU to undervolt, I want to see real test from you. I hope you can prove us wrong but we're awaiting your benching results from OCCT, AIDA64 w/ HWINFO sensors readings on CPU, CPU TDP, PCH and SSD temps.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Both before and after undervolting readings would be great, no need waiting to tune it up right to get best performance and temps :)

8. Silvr6

Reputations:
    I wasn't aware I was going to not do a real test.......ive never undervolted any of my recent laptops, at least not in the last 10 years. Love to see everyone so set in their ways that these cpus aren't any good. You'll be pleasantly surprised by their performance. I happen to have a mobile i7 3840qm laptop I can compare with as well.

tilleroftheearth and hmscott like this.
  9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I don't think your new lappie can be compared to a real workstation which looks ancient but still has plenty of raw power left in that beast.

hmscott likes this.
  10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It's not the CPU's that aren't good, it's the BIOS set voltage is a bit high these days, more than needed, and undervolting - tuning the voltage for lowest setting reduces the thermal load on the CPU, reducing temperatures.

If you don't undervolt it's pretty much a guarantee you are running about 10c hotter at 100% load than necessary.

Getting a good set of readings at stock, before tuning, is a good idea so you know how much tuning improves temperatures.

A CPU voltage offset of -100mV is a good starting point, and for many it's enough of a temperature drop to stop right there. :)

tilleroftheearth and Vasudev like this.