Upcoming Quadcore "8th" Gen Mobile CPU's

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Silvr6, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Silvr6

Silvr6 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Regarding the 28W thermal limit, I did mention that in my original post, if my "old" 3rd gen quad core can hit 2.8ghz on 4 cores at a 28w limit then I would imagine that an 8th (really 7.5 gen) would be able to do better.

This won't be like the first 45w quad cores that could only turbo 100mhz or so above their default clock speed (Think i7 720qm 1.6ghz turbo to 1.73ghz)

I know people like to ***** about intel but I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the performance of these new chips. My guess is we will see a very high single and dual core turbo and a quadcore turbo in the mid 2ghz.

We will find out tomorrow

tilleroftheearth and Starlight5 like this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yes most lenovo's employ cTDP up method through windows or through BIOS. Throttling mechanism are too strict and most set <80C.
    On my sis's lappie from Lenovo they downclocked the core clocks and mem clocks of amd radeon gpu which is a basic GPU could play anything at 720p. So, after couple of fiddling I rectified it using correct core clocks and mem clocks. I must thank techpowerup gpu database.

3. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:
    i wonder what the 8700hq will look like.
    whether it will still be quad core or hexacore 8700hh.
    or if Intel is waiting for ryzen mobile.

These low tdp intel 8 series won't be enough for hardcore computing.

My 6700hq pretty much holds 3.1ghz turbo for a long time, all 4 cores loaded 100%. I'd be surprised if these 8 gen can do the same.

Vasudev likes this.
  4. Silvr6

Silvr6 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well the launch info is now out, rather disappointing they don't break down the turbo speeds by cores anymore. Just Base and "max turbo" speeds. Guess we'll have to wait until some benchmarks start showing up to see what speeds they will actually load at.

Taken from Anandtech

Base/Turbo

i7-8650U 1.9ghz/4.2ghz
    i7-8550U 1.8ghz/4.0ghz
    i5-8350U 1.7ghz/3.6ghz
    i5-8250U 1.6ghz/3.4ghz

5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Severely under powered and under clocked. Might as well settle for Pentium CPU w/o turbo boost as they can maintain their clocks better than newer cpus. @Papusan See this.

6. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Ryzen mobile isn't out. Why should Intel rush? And the competition is in the desktop segment now. AMD haven't been much used in laptops. Intel know this.
    8700hq will have 6 cores and 2.0GHz as base clock Frequency (From rumors). I'm sure 4 cores boost will be at least on level as 7700Hq today. How high the Boost being depends on how many cores is taxed in load. But if some of the well known Windoze trash + useless OEM bloat run in the background, the Maximum Boost will be crippled.

Vasudev likes this.
  7. Starlight5

Starlight5 I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

Reputations:
    Me wantz one of these! (vPro possible vulnerabilities make me nervous)

[​IMG]

Ionising_Radiation and Vasudev like this.
  8. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    8th generation now includes, this quad core U kabylake refresh, the up and coming coffee lake (14nm++) and later canon lake (10nm).

Vasudev likes this.
  9. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Desktop users wanting to upgrade will be disappointed in the need for a new 300 series motherboard.

bennyg and Vasudev like this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Never expected we could have 3 revisions processors on same MB:cool: I'm sure many have same opinion on this.

bennyg, Vistar Shook and Vasudev like this.