Upcoming Quadcore "8th" Gen Mobile CPU's

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Silvr6, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Silvr6

Silvr6 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm eagerly awaiting these new quadcore cpu's with supposedly 4 real cores much like the 35w and 45w ones available now. Would be really nice to have 8 threads to play with In a 15w package.

http://laptopmedia.com/news/intel-core-i5-8250u-is-coming-acer-swift-3-to-get-it-early/
    https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-core-i7-8550u-spotted-in-acer-nitro-notebook

Be interesting to see what the break down is for turbo modes on all 4 cores. Unscientific testing on my Dell M4700 with an I7 3840QM showing it can load all 4 cores @ 2.8ghz using approx 28w of power (similar to the 28W thermal limit on some mobile cpu's turbo)

It can Turbo all 4 cores at 1.6ghz using 15W. Obviously this cpu is "4" generations behind the upcoming cpu's
    My guess is that we will see 2.4-2.6ghz using 4 cores on the mobile chips. I'm sure I'm wrong but i'll be holding out for a laptop based on these CPU's

2. Starlight5

Starlight5 I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

Reputations:
    @Silvr6 I too consider skipping Kaby Lake for the upcoming 8th Gen quad-core ULV... although high price & late availability may still push me towards 7th gen.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. ghegde

ghegde Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    imagine quadcore surface pro. jeez

Vasudev likes this.
  4. tesm1th

tesm1th Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I didn't consider skipping to Coffee Lake because my older laptop, the Haswell Lenovo Flex 2, just can't make the run anymore. I can't bother accessing the inside. (Spec: i5-4210U + GT 840M)
    I've got a new Acer Kaby Lake ultrabook. Since I find "good" GT940MX laptops out of my budget, I will have to trade it for better features such as good battery life and screen. (Acer: i5-7200U)
    Since MX150 was not available when I bought it, I find it rather disappointing.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Vasudev likes this.
  5. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 what is quality control?

Reputations:
    If you know how long did microsoft take to pull their head out of the ground and realize that Kabylake is here, you'd have to wait quite a long time for it.

Now only if we can get an X1 Carbon Gen6...

Vasudev and Starlight5 like this.
  6. Starlight5

Starlight5 I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

Reputations:
    Or Thinkpad Yoga 370 successor - with matte non-PWM screen, a quad, and without any sacrifices!

7. Assembler

Assembler Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Turbo will be limited to short periods of load.. why ? Because Intel already confirmed that the CPU needs to be configured at 28W TDP to sustain high turbo clocks, but most OEM's will use 15W as usual. Otherwise they would have to adjust the cooling solution of their devices.

Vasudev and Starlight5 like this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    @Papusan See more tricks set up by Intel to give a quad core rip-off.

Papusan likes this.
  9. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 what is quality control?

Reputations:

@Vasudev - CMIIW but most T-series thinkpads use C-TDP up right?

Vasudev likes this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Almost same scam as Ngreedia's Max-Q:no:
    What did you expect? Better with thin and flimsy. Proper cooling cost money!! Pure powa will come second or last. Design before functionality. Vote with your wallet!!

Vasudev likes this.