upcoming clevo laptops with skylake-X (HEDT)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by ole!!!, Nov 17, 2016.

?

prefer 6-8 cores Skylake-X CPU over quad core K series

1. Sylake-X

54 vote(s)
    83.1%
  2. traditional quads

11 vote(s)
    16.9%
  1. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    don't know how many people are still waiting for it and would prefer 6-8 cores over traditional 4 cores K desktop version. a X edition over K along with two GPU would push performance towards the highest end, what are the chances we see this in an upcoming clevo laptop?

few things to note here is that, HEDT CPUs are always playing the catch up game, however as we all know how slowly CPU are improving lately in terms of IPC barely 3-5% per year, not to mention Intel will not have anything for enthusiasts until icelake which is early 2019.

- Kabylake has pretty much the same IPC as Skylake (Q1 2017)
    - Cannonlake would be 10nm but only for ultrabook/tablet (Q1 2018)
    - Coffeelake will stay on 14nm for high end desktop/laptop, mainstream 6 cores however again same IPC as kaby/skylake with little improvement, can be called 2nd optimization. (Q3 2018)
    - Icelake will be to first 10nm and new architecture build but won't arrive until early 2019, so we are looking at no improvement from intel's end for years unless its iGP. (Q1 2019)

As shown above theres nothing really to catch up on, however Skylake-HEDT CPU on the other hand is a bit different, ontop of having more than just 4 cores, it also comes with turbo boost 3.0 and other new extensions which kabylake won't have.

it's rare to see that laptops are once again growing in size, back in the old days we had xps m2010 and HDX 9000 which opted 20.1" display and was thought won't happen ever again, now we got water cooling ASUS gx800, giant GT83VR laptop, and the upcoming Acer 21x.

can we get some opinions from resellers?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  2. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    although highly interesting, im guessing this is WAY too early to give any info on. resellers barely started acknowledging kaby lake for laptops...

ole!!! likes this.
  3. johnjames

johnjames Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would definitely buy, for the whole development team. Seems waiting for LGA2011-3 socket Clevo laptop release forever. Now if they can get skylake-X ready on the new laptop, that would be most exciting tech break-through in many years to come.

Drajitsh, i_pk_pjers_i and ole!!! like this.
  4. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Probably not happening... But hey you can dream :p

5. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    skylake x would be a new socket, which changes mobo design would mean a brand new machine. giving on the time when it will be released Q2 or possibly Q3 2017 its been a while now since original p870DM came out.

there are few individuals already received skylake-X ES chips for validation purposes and no doubt overclocked them for the fun of it. would sure to love one of these in a laptop, definitely a strong win over all other competitor.

Drajitsh, Mr. Fox, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  6. johnjames

Reputations:
    Clevo did i7-4960X laptops before and I'm still using it, still faster than any laptop on the planet. It should be easy for them to have the skylake-x laptops ready. However, some dumb guys on the top canceled the line. They only saw the short term view, doesn't have future sight. Hope someone will be smart enough to bring the real powerful laptop black.

7. yotano21

yotano21 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am glad you are still using the 4960x processor but those dumb guys at the top maybe saw the laptop line not selling much units and decided to cancel the line based on sales. They are a business and need to make money. They tried out a certain laptop line, didnt sell much unites so they decided to move onto different things.

If you are a businesses owner you would understand.

8. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    some of the reason it didn't sell was because HEDT CPU is always behind as when ivy bridge 3770k came out, 4960x of same architecture came out almost 1.5 years later, and people didn't want to buy old technology even though it was 6 cores.

however with skylake-X even though its 1yr old, it literally has the same performance as the new CPU kabylake and also cannonlake which is also the same technology. ontop of that skylake-X (HEDT) will have turbo boost 3.0 feature which is not available to mainstream consumer CPUs, so really wouldn't be a cpu thats behind, infact it should count as more advanced due to more cores.

Drajitsh likes this.
  9. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    here to confirm what I mentioned in my original post. 6 core main stream laptop in mid 2018. http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-...Notebook-CPUs-available-in-2018.185189.0.html

like I originally mentioned.. intel went from:
    tick-tock (Nehalem-sandy)
    then tick-tock-optimize (ivy-haswell-haswellrefresh)
    now becomes tick-tock-optimize-optimize (broadwell-skylake-kabylake-coffeelake)

skylake architecture cpu performance would be very similar to coffeelake/cannonlake within only 3-5% ipc at most, until icelake comes along Q1 2019. but omg just imagine a cpu soldered BGA thats 6 cores rofl..

Drajitsh likes this.
  10. johnjames

Reputations:
    For LGA2011 socket laptop, I didn't know before I bought one from eBay about three years ago. From that time I started knowing Clevo desktop replacement laptop. It takes time for people to know especially for good product. If they produce new high-end CPU laptop, I would buy every year. Business decisions should be very careful especially when terminating a product line. Patience is most valuable thing in dealing business productions.

Drajitsh and ole!!! like this.