[*Unresolved* Issue] Alienware M18x: GTX 580M SLI DPC Latency Problems

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neosis

neosis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So i guess the take home from all of this is that we're going to have to be constantly vigilant about latency when new games and then drivers poke their heads?

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yes, we sure will have to be. You can use my batch file tweak to mitigate the latency. The realization that a new driver does not necessarily mean a good driver has really come home to roost. Seems AMD and NVIDIA are both doing a poor job of driver development as of late. I hope NVIDIA doesn't get as bad at it as AMD has been the past couple of years.

3. DanXbix

DanXbix Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Received new machine today. On first boot it had 296.10 drivers installed and the exact same bad latency. This need to be fixed Nvidia please!!!

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

4. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's really bad news Dan....I wonder if a clean install would maybe help out? - also, was it a brand new system? - only asking because I find it rather odd that upon first boot it had Nvidia Reference drivers installed and not Dell Drivers :confused:

5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    That is very odd, especially right out of the box. I don't understand why a few are having DPC latency pointing to NVIDIA drivers using the same driver most are not having the issue with. It causes me to wonder if there is not something obscure that is causing it.

6. DanXbix

DanXbix Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi fellas yes machine is defiantly new. And I thought the same thing when I saw 296.10 drivers installed. Also checked with a torch and thermal pad is not installed on heatsink again.

7. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That really is odd. Not just about the pad (I havent checked mine but you say its visible through the rear exhausts?) but why you had Nvidia Drivers installed on a brand new rig??????? ( I don't recall seeing a 296.10 Dellized Driver on Drivers & Downloads)

8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    That was the first thing I checked after reading Dan's post. No new "Recommended" drivers seen at support.dell.com in the USA.

9. DanXbix

DanXbix Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah it's really odd but it started up with the normal Alienware setup (username etc) SLI was turned on and A05 bios. Totally weird ????

10. Volkly

Volkly Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    would the DPC latency issue be fixed if you use the A03 bios along with 296 drivers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.