Unreal Engine 5

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by ryzeki, May 13, 2020.

1. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Anyone checked out the reveal of the Unreal Engine 5? It looks very impressive. I am looking forward to what games will start looking onwards.

Watching it on a 4K display, the amount of detail is insane. I think one of the more promising aspects is that this is a demo running already, instead of a typical cutscene.

JRE84 and hfm like this.
  2. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Does this mean we finally get a true replacement for running Heaven from 2010? Valley was pretty, but not as pretty as Heaven. Superposition was cute, but overall it was just a cluttered lab, far short of floating islands loaded with tons of cool stuff.

Heaven updated for UE5 would be awesome.

ryzeki likes this.
  3. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Holy, that was a PS5? Fantastic.

I mean there's a lot of CPU time not being spent on game logic there, but nevertheless that is amazing.

JRE84 likes this.
  4. ryzeki

Reputations:
    I agree, an updated Heaven would be amazing to test systems with while gawking and pretty things hahaha

Yep, and we know it will only get better from there.

JRE84 likes this.
  5. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I might have to upgrade my eGPU to a 3080 Ti just so I can crank the ray tracing up at 1600p.. lol

6. ryzeki

Reputations:
    Funny that you mention that. The engine is not using RT at all, yet it is compatible with it.

But why kid ourselves, you will obviously need to drop it to 720p and then use DLSS 3.0 to make it look like 1600p! jk :)

7. cj_miranda23

cj_miranda23 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't think so, be aware that the demo was running at 1440P @ 30 FPS! I think medium to high end of PC's of today will easy run the demo at the same resolution at 60+ FPS

https://www.windowscentral.com/unreal-engine-5-footage-ran-1440p-ps5-features-no-ray-tracing
    https://www.roadtovr.com/unreal-engine-5-tech-demo-ps5-psvr-vr-ue5-lumen-nanite/

8. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The PS5 GPU should be about equivalent to the 2070 Super, so doubling that performance is a tall task even for the 2080 Ti.

9. cj_miranda23

cj_miranda23 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Even without Ray Tracing? and what's the deal with PS5 SSD that's everyone going ga ga over it?

https://www.pcgamer.com/fast-ssd-storage-is-key-to-the-unreal-engine-5-demos-super-detailed-scenes/

To that end, Unreal Engine 5 is being "optimized for next-generation storage." The PlayStation 5 storage tech is "god-tier," says Sweeney, while PCs have some catching up to do. That said, "on a high-end PC with an SSD," and especially with an NVMe SSD, we should get "awesome performance" from Unreal Engine 5 games. (With a good GPU and CPU too, of course.)

10. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That demo isn’t using ray tracing.

The PS5 SSD is a bespoke solution that is faster than current NVMe 4.0 drives on PC.