Unofficial Acer Predator 21X Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Acer' started by porky133, Aug 28, 2017.

1. porky133

porky133 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't see one here so I'll start. First a few answers to what many people will say:

Yes, it's expensive. I don't care, it's a toy.
    Yes, it's going to be outdated within a year or two. Again, I wanted this ground breaking toy.
    Yes, it's big and heavy. I like it like that. I can't wait for my next LAN party, everyone sets up their laptops and I drop this big boy on the table and declare "I win!". BTW, one of my friends had the largest with his Titan 18 incher.

I'll post photos as soon as I can resize them.

I weighed the laptop while in the case and that whole package comes to 56.8 pounds! Got to find a better way to transport this thing. I don't want to have to carry that to some of the places I go play at!

Also, the X band thing for the power adaptors is pretty useless. Once the power bricks are put in it's difficult to get them back out and the case wasn't cut for the X band plus bricks to be stored. So you have to take them out to transport in the case.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    triturbo, CedricFP and hmscott like this.
  2. porky133

Reputations:
  3. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think the Eurocom 780W power brick could work with an adapter. Would save space and hasstle
    [​IMG]
    http://www.hidevolution.com/780w-laptop-power-adapter-for-evoc-p775dmx-p870dmx-msi-gt-models.html

4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The difference between the Acer 21x and the MSI/Clevo's that Eurocom 780w PSU fit is that the Acer 21x has 2 power inputs on the laptop.

IDK if plugging in to 2 with a higher power PSU will be enough, or if those 2 inputs feed 2 completely different portions of the laptop, which might make a cable splitter from the Eurocom PSU problematic.

If I had a 21x I'd ask Acer before trying an experiment on my own, with $11,000 worth of hardware :)

Vasudev and ThatOldGuy like this.
  5. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I did not know it had two inputs, LoL. I assumed they had a splitter like the Clevos...

You would think a company investing so much into an unprecedented one-of-a-kind laptop would just make a single 600W adapter of their own:confused:

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    Acer only had the 330w PSU available, just like MSI, Asus, Clevo, etc, so that's what they used.

The PSU vendors are supposed to do innovation in that area, IDK why they are so slow in coming out with higher power PSU's.

Using the Eurocom 780w PSU as an example, perhaps it's too diffcult and costly to come out with an affordable PSU over 330w - the change in approach to deliver more power requires more expensive design / components.

It will be interesting to see what eventually comes out to power all the new power hungry CPU and GPU components :)

Vasudev and ThatOldGuy like this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan BGA Filthy = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Why should they investing even more money for only 300 units?:rolleyes:

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  8. porky133

Reputations:
    Seriously, anybody got any ideas for a smaller carry bag for this thing, other than the overly large and heavy travel case?

hmscott likes this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    Technically, "smaller" can't really be used in conjunction with this massive laptop :D

I think you'd do well to find a custom luggage shop and ask them to build a custom soft or hard case for easy carry. Maybe a shop that makes custom boogie board cases would have experience with similar size and form factor cases.

10. Papusan

Papusan BGA Filthy = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    It's a reason that Acer designed a large suitcase you could use for travelling. Aka they thought about maximum portability:p

hmscott likes this.