Unlocked bios 05 - impressing

Discussion in 'Alienware 14 and M14x' started by c69k, Sep 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    1. I uninstalled Intel RST (of course), with RST installed I was getting only SATA 3 Gbps speeds.

2. Then I re-installed newest Intel chipset driver and Intel management engine, both from Intel site.

3. In unlocked Bios I disabled c states and enabled storage break event (thanks custom90gt).

4. I also disabled hot-plugging on all ports and finally Aggressive LPM support.

5. At the end I re-enabled c-states and I am stable SATA 6Gbps.

This is a good thread for your questions.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/ali...parison-bios-enabled-disabled-discussion.html

Please note, I have OCZ Vertex 3 MI. On M14x some people need tweaking to get SATA 6 Gbps speeds, some people never get it to work, for some it works straight out of box.

2. whitneyr78

whitneyr78 Newbie

Reputations:
    Oh man. I read this too late. I now can't get the screen to come on, and it just beeps. Anyone know how to reset the bios so I can get back in?

Thanks!

3. svl7

svl7 T|I

Reputations:
    Make a power drain, open your system and remove the cmos battery for a couple of minutes.

4. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I had the same issue, changed something (not graphics) and had no more access to bios, only white '-' in top left corner on startup. So I left it as it was and after about 3 minutes the puter re-started, showed Bios loading screen and I had to be fast to catch/press F2 and it allowed me to change back to the correct Bios value. Good luck.

5. whitneyr78

whitneyr78 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the replies. I just left it on, and all it does is beep 4 times, wait a few seconds, and then beep 4 times, on and on. It doesn't seem to reboot, and I don't see anything on the screen at all.

I was going to pull the cmos battery, but I can't find it. Anyone have an idea where it is?

Thanks again

6. flybass

flybass Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Have you tried taking out the battery and holding the power button for 20 seconded or so?

7. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    1. Have you tried pushing F2 even if you dont see nothing on the screen?
    2. I believe you should send a PM to madmantm, he got out of it somehow.

8. Kristofer

Kristofer Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Does the unlocked bios allow you adjust or remove the limit to the GPU on battery?

9. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am sure Bios 01 has the limitation removed as I read about M14X turning off on battery while gaming using Bios 01. I would use afterburner in combination with Bios 01 and/or adjusting Win7 power plan settings.

re. unlocked Bios 05 see for yourself, download the screens (first post of this thread). If you want to see sub-screens, let me know, I have this bios loaded, and will take a look for you.

10. Kristofer

Kristofer Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Sure, keep me posted. Thanks a lot. Yeah unfortunately the way the newer bios' work you can't adjust it through windows power options or with an overclocking application. The voltage is limited by the bios as well as the clock speed so trying to overclock beyond it while on battery will just produce an error. I'm considering flashing the bios because I'd like to be able to game on battery but it isn't a major issue so I'm taking my time with the decision to decide if it's worth it or not. I paid extra for accidental damage coverage and I'm pretty sure flashing to an unofficial bios would void the warranty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.