Unlocked bios 05 - impressing

Discussion in 'Alienware 14 and M14x' started by c69k, Sep 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ------------
    *Standard NBR Warning*
    BIOS Modifications, VBIOS Modifications and other system level tweaks can potentially cause damage to your system. Be aware of this before blindly flashing. If you brick your system or cause damage, chances are very high that your warranty will be useless. Know what you are doing, you are responsible for your actions.
    ------------

info:

[tested & working] M14x unlocked BIOS A05

download screens from locked/unlocked bios menus:

Bios A05 and Mod.7z (87,71 MB) - uploaded.to

direct download unlocked AW Bios 05:

100%_M14xR1A05_Ulk_Menus_ByCamiloml.exe

More M14X custom bioses:

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienw...tage-increase-nvidia-gt-555m-7.html#post12003

M14X CPU throttling, repasting, dissasembly vid:

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19424272.aspx
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *important: when flashing right mouse click and 'run as administrator'*
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. sulliboys

sulliboys Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What exactly are the benefits of getting this?

3. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Simply put - much more options incl. fan control etc. I just flashed and a new book of tweaking opened in front of me.

4. xAtLx

xAtLx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    its useless no option to make the laptop any faster no multiplyer mods no increase in the main clock mods no voltage mod.... useless stuff heh ?

5. fred2028

fred2028 Sexy member

Reputations:
    If there are no overclocking controls for the nVIDIA GPU then I'd say it's worthless over the stock A05

6. /Drakk_

/Drakk_ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This isn't an official release, is it?

7. fred2028

fred2028 Sexy member

Reputations:
    No its nto

8. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ok, I changed fan settings, low speed fan starts now at 60c instead of 55c (default) and high fan speed starts I think at 80c (default), so I left it at default. Now during typing and browsing the fan does not come ON at all and I like it, especially with my quiet SSD. This is (I think) only modified a.k.a. unlocked official Bios provided by dell on the support page, only someone got a code to unlock all its features. It installs exactly the same way as the one from DELL support page. This is day two of using it, I have not had any problems with the bios, which does not mean I suggest flashing. It is just me ... more options (LPM on/off, Hot plugging on/off, list of Sata ports, and a thousand things I do not understand, but time will tell).

I have problems with my SSD startups, so I was also hoping that with so many options in this bios someone with some real knowledge can maybe solve these issues or point me in the right direction.

Yes, my max temps still have not hit 60, so thats why no fan spinning lol

Attached Files:

9. shnarf

shnarf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    just loaded it my system and started looking around.... I found RAID settings!!! no idea if they work or not, but I'm about to mess with em here in a min and try to get a pair of 120G OCZ Vertex 2's in RAID 0. I already have the dvd drive replaced with a hdd caddy, Just need to pop the drives in and see if i can get em' to stripe. hopefully ill be reporting back good news from a striped RAID array soon. if all goes well I'll be ordering a pair of Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 120's this weekend. hoping to break 1,000M read! just maybe

UPDATE: so I have done a lil research and apparently the BIOS menu exists, but a RAID module of some sort would be needed to get to a Intel RAID configuration menu. I almost positive the chipset physically supports RAID, it just wasn't built in by Dell as a RAID setup wasn't a factory option. Please for the love of god somebody with the Programming expertise PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Get a RAID module added if it is in any way possible. I know im not the only one in here with dreams of striped SATA3 SSD's in a M14x.

10. madmantm

madmantm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For people that upgraded to that BIOS.

can you disable the intel integrated gpu and use the nvidia dedicated gpu ?
    can you force sata2 speed for the second sata port? (caddy + hdd running at sata 1.5)

other than that thanks!! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.