Universities in Australia, Canada or USA?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jalf, Sep 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reaper21

Reaper21 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Like seb said, but not in that order, probably Sydney uni and Melbourne uni are on par as the most highly regarded.

Although if you want another choice Monash actually has a really good IT department thier courses are very hands on (more actual programming etc.), compared to Melbourne Uni which is very theory based (lots of diagrams etc.)

How do i know, my brother got his computer science degree from Melbourne and my mate got his from Monash, i've got most of thier notes as i'm doing a Bachelor of Business Information systems at the moment (business degree majoring in computer science)

2. BENDER

BENDER EX-NBR member :'(

Reputations:
    I don't know much about CS courses at ANU. I'm from Melbourne Uni. Check the student reviews for the following unis

Monash
    Melbourne Uni
    ANU

3. Jalf

Jalf Comrade Santa

Reputations:
    Ok, that is an awesome website... Thanks! :D

4. dark_prince

dark_prince Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The top universities in Australia probably would be
    • Sydney University
    • Melbourne University
    • Adelaide University
    • New South Wales University

These are the most prestigious ones and first three are also the oldest. But if you are also looking to get to know Australia and enjoy a little I would recommend the Sydney or NSW uni.
    You can check out their website for CS courses and I guess all of them probably have a wide range of streams but I'm not sure whether they mach up to what you are doing right now or not.

5. Jalf

Jalf Comrade Santa

Reputations:
    How come no one mentions Australian National University? (And how come it's particularly "national" anyway?) They seem pretty good judging from their website (although obviously that might not be entirely unbiased ;)), and the few comments I could dig up around the place seemed positive as well. So what's the catch? Why do people only ever mention the ones that have cities in their names? :p

6. dark_prince

dark_prince Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Australian National University is in the top eight group but not in top 3 (or 5 I guess). The main problem with it is that its in Canberra which is one of the smallest city (more like a big town) in Aus, though it is Australia's national capital (and thus the name Australian National University). So naturally the the student quality is thought to be little lower than Syd Uni or Melb Uni as there is little competition to get in. But ANU might have good teaching and research background that I'm not aware of.
    Bottom line is about half of the whole countries population live in two states (NSW and Victoria) and the students don't tend to apply outside their states for tertiary education unless there are some unique courses offered at some unique uni. So The older universities are traditionally harder to get in and usually have a higher standard than the rest.
    There is guide available in Australia called "Good Universities Guide" publishes the ranking of all the uni's every year.
    But now there is a easier way of finding out about the course and uni quality.......just look at the course fees. :cool: