Uninstalling nvidia driver

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by nantha939, Sep 4, 2012.

1. nantha939

nantha939 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Oh i forgot to mention.. I ran driver sweeper and ccleaner under safe mode

2. juliant

juliant Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Try to remove everything in safe mode with driver sweeper and ccleaner. When you go back to windows, try to install dell driver and not the beta driver. If that also does not fix your problem, than most probably you messed up something in your windows files and you may require a clean installation... In my opinion...

3. nantha939

Reputations:
    I already remove everything in safe mode..
    I tried to install dell official driver which is 302.72

install dell.jpg

As you can see, still failed.

I guess i messed up something :confused:

4. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I agree with Juliant.....the only other thing I would try before a clean install would be the following:

Turn off windows update auto driver updates by typing change device installation settings into the start menu box. Set it to look like below.

device settings.png

From normal mode - not safe mode - manually uninstall any drivers that show up in device manager until you are back at VGA. I would do this for the bottom Display adapter first and then the top one. Check in control panel/programs that you have NO Nvidia stuff showing.

Reboot into safe mode and run Driver Sweeper and CCleaner as detailed before. Make sure that Driver Sweeper comes back with Zero results and also Registry clean for CClean comes back with zero results too....might take a few passes of both.

Reboot normally and try the installation again - if you want to, grab a fresh download of the driver you want to use.

If that fails, I imagine something is corrupted in the OS itself as by now, you should be able to install drivers without a problem.

5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Süper-Düper Troll Püp Scüper Trüper Moderator

Reputations:
    nantha939 - I think you may have something corrupted in your registry. I've never had trouble with NVIDIA or AMD driver removal of the nature that you are experiencing.

Judging from the screen shots, something with the installer program is hosed.

Do you have a System Restore point earlier that when all of your driver removal headaches began? Trying going back to a point in time before all of this started. Go back a couple of restore points earlier if you can.

If that does not work out and neither do Brother Stevie's or Julian's last suggestions, I think you should either do a Respawn factory restore or just do a clean OS reinstall and be done with it.

BTW, Driver Sweeper was replaced by Driver Fusion. I'm using that now and it's pretty slick. You may want to scope it out. I think it's worth the $14.99 they ask for it. It has some features that Driver Sweeper did not.

6. bumbo2

bumbo2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  7. Alienware-Luis_Pardo

Alienware-Luis_Pardo Guest

Reputations:
    I agree, at this point a Windows 7 Clean Install seems like the wisest choice.

8. nantha939

Reputations:
    Now that is my other problem.. I did not have a system restore point.. Hahahaha stupid me

I think im gonna do a clean install os.

Again, thanks for your suggestion Mr. Fox

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

9. nantha939

Reputations: