Uninstalled Intel Rapid Storage Technology, now computer won't boot!

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by RWUK, Oct 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RWUK

RWUK Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ok, so I decided to update to Intel RST from Matrix Storage Manger. Long story short, I decided to go back to Matrix Storage Manager so I uninstalled RST and let it reboot my computer as normal. Problem is, I see the BIOS screen and when the computer goes to load Windows, it crashes and reboots. It never gets past this point, just a reboot and 'Windows error recovery' cycle. Safe mode, Last Known Configuration and Restart Normally all give the same result.

Will repairing windows just reinstall Vista? Is there any chance I can fix this without needing to reinstall the whole OS??

This sucks! Of all the problems I 'protect' my comptuer against, it turns out to be an Intel driver that seriously screws me over. :mad: :mad:

Edit: Forgot to say, the crash is a blue screen. It momentarily flashes on the screen before rebooting.

2. Selenium

Selenium Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    A repair won't reinstall the OS, it will just repair whatever files are FUBARed in preventing you from booting.

3. olyteddy

olyteddy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Don't feel badly it is very difficult to write software that is totally immune to operator errors.

4. deeastman

deeastman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ouch! Lets hope the repair gets the OP out of trouble.

I will have to admit that I also have been the victim of the PEBKAC syndrome.

5. newsposter

newsposter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Nooooo, the problem is/was an ill-advised, user-initiated removal/deletion of a critical boot file and driver.

Until you accept that, the chances of you repeating the same mistake are pretty good........

6. RWUK

RWUK Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The uninstaller for the program removed the files, I didn't pick out anything. The computer doesn't need either RST nor Matrix Storage Manager to boot properly. At one point I was getting better drive speeds without either driver and bootups were unaffected. I'll play with it more tomorrow and see what happens.

7. Selenium

Selenium Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I just uninstalled IRST earlier today and have had no issues. And like he said, he used the packaged uninstaller, so just saying it's "operator error" is a bit of a stretch and also pretty rude in my opinion.

Good luck getting it worked out.

8. namaiki

namaiki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Go into BIOS and set the hard drive mode from AHCI/SATA to IDE/compatibility mode.

9. RWUK

RWUK Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well looks like reinstalling Windows is the only way out of this. Repairing didn't do anything (it didn't even find any problems) and I don't have IDE compatibility selection in my BIOS. I can switch from AHCI to ATA but that's all, still same result.

Thanks Selenium and namaiki for useful info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.