Uni Notebook needed

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Barnys, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Barnys

Barnys Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi
    We are in Germany and are looking for a notebook for a Uni student, we are thinking of a max price of about €400. I am thinking of running Uberstudent on it, It wont be used for games but may get some doc-graphics use (e.g. imbedded graphs, pics etc).

1) Our budget? € 250-400
    2) Notebook Size?
    Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    3) We will be buying this notebook in the EU - Germany
    4) All brands are OK
    5) We would like a new one but perhaps redistributed.
    6) The primary tasks will you be Uni work, docs, wifi, stats, graphics, music...
    7) It will be both carried about and used on a desktop.
    8) Games aren’t important.
    9) How many hours of battery life do you need? This is a hard one, I would like it to be useable on and off during a day so perhaps 4ish hours.
    10) Buying without seeing/online is ok.
    11) What OS do you prefer? The plan is to use a linux distro but Windows will be ok.

Screen Specifics
    12) Screen resolution(s) do matter but I don’t have back to back comparisons to work from so I think 720p – 900p would be nice.
    13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?
    As I understand a matte screen is less likely to have problems with reflections so I guess a matte screen would be a first choice but glossy would be ok if it means better overall spec.

Build Quality and Design
    14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Yes looks matter but function matters more.
    15) When are you buying this laptop? Within the next 1-3 weeks.
    16) How long do you want this laptop to last? Hopefully a long time :)

Notebook Components
    17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    Ideally a SSD (min 250GB) but a if cost vs general spec is an issue then a 500GB HDD works. Also, if it is possible to swap a HDD for a SDD (I have seen some with easy access to the storage drive) then I think that is also worth considering
    18) Do you need an optical drive?
    No need for an optical drive but if it has one then that’s ok.

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  2. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What do you mean by Uni Work? Unigraphics? or Just abbreviation for university?

Two totally different things. Your budget is way too small for working with Unigraphics. It is also very low for basic university workload (lasting 4 years or so).