Undervolting

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by doofus99, Jun 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The AW17 R5 is VERY THIN for housing a 180W GPU and a 45W CPU (which some people push much higher). If we take this into account I am sure we can then admire its performance.

Really, just look at it from the side, it is amazing. I presume, no I am sure, that if we were allowed a (custom) heatsink and fans assembly, say only 1 cm thicker, this machine would fly!

My laptop sits on a slick U3 base, way off the desk, and when you look at it sideways it is incredible how thin it really is. f8ck it I will take a photo to show you:

IMG_20180709_224519_s.jpg

Now, after you see this, I think the top of the top tech specs do not matter so much! OK, of course they do, but I hope you get my point.

And: looking at this photo look how much empty space there is under the laptop, imagine the laptop 1 cm thicker, you would not even notice, but it would run very cool with beefier heatsinks and fans and more space inside. I was thinking if any one with appropriate tools and machinery could manufacture a "kit" - a thicker heartsink and fans replacement.

2. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah bro :) i know, that was my point... ****in thin and fast for what it is